You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Files saved under different names in File folder on iPad

As an example. I have a Designer file in the File folder/app on iPad, then open that file in AD. After making many modifications, I save the file, assuming it is being saved to Files. I then rename the file in AD and save it. The expected behavior is that I will now have another file in Files with that new name. No. Any new changes I have made to the file since renaming it have now overwritten the original file in Files where there is still just one copy with the original name. The file in Files and that in AD are linked but they have different names. This should not be.

After experimentation, I realize the proper process for this is to, within AD, Duplicate the file, change the duplicate's name, then save it. (Or duplicate within Files, change the name, then open in AD.) Can do. But still I find it disturbing the same file would have different names depending on its location. If the file's name is changed in AD, then saved, the name change should be reflected in Files as well.

4 hours ago, bpedit said:

If the file's name is changed in AD, then saved, the name change should be reflected in Files as well.

I agree totally.  The save behaviour leaves a great deal to be desired and appears to be handled much better in many other apps. The file in Designer is initially a separate version to the file in the default save folder. This can be easily verified. When you create a file, the file will not appear in the Designer apps folder. If you use the Save option from the Home Screen, a 'copy' of the working file is created in the Save folder. If you then rename the file it only renames the original copy stored in the app itself (sandbox), however any edits made to the sandbox version will actually be saved to the 'stored' version in the Save folder (just not under the new name)! Yep, confusing. 
The easiest way to create another copy with a new name is to use Save a Copy within work screens Document menu. This creates a new copy with new name. Any edits made up to this point are also saved in both the new copy and the current working copy. Future edits are only saved in the current working copy (unless you save another copy, creating yet another file). So save regularly and use Save a Copy to create recoverable backups as you go. Note if you open a saved copy, the ongoing edits will now be saved to that copy as it becomes the working copy. You now see both versions on the Home Screen.
Which brings me to the most important point that many fail to realise. If you don’t save your file using the Save option in either the  Home Screen or the Work screen, your document exists only in the apps protected memory, and cannot be accessed to backup/recover the file if there is a ‘glitch', making the file inaccessible. If you Close the file without using the Save options as described, your file is gone (not recoverable). Always use Save.😁

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/25/2021 at 9:21 AM, Sean P said:

Hi bpedit,

This is something we do have logged and I have passed your comments onto development.

@Sean P maybe you could pass this topic als on to dev? It seems to me they are similar...

I followed @DM1 s advice and now use a template for this special kind of posters I create, but nevertheless the renaming thing is a problem....

txs