You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Create a diagonal pixel pattern overlay

Hello!
I am experimenting with some texture overlays for large images on a website. One of the patterns that I saw being used on a website was diagonal pixels and perhaps a color overlay. I have attached a sample of the image. Can someone explain to me how to create this type of effect in Affinity Photo? Perhaps the color overlay is done with CSS, but it's the diagonal line effect that interests me.

Thank you so much for any help.

Chris1979436806_ScreenShot2021-06-19at4_47_54PM.png.2847fdd947c571c3729abaa76ba8a33e.png

Easy peasy. Add a Pattern Layer above the image. If you want stripes that are, say, 8 pixels wide then size the pattern to 1 pixel wide and 16 pixels high. Paint the top 8 pixels one color, then paint the bottom 8 pixels a second color. This should get you equal-sized horizontal stripes. Now, choose the Move tool and rotate the pattern by 45 degrees. Voilà - diagonal stripes.

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

My pleasure. You might want to consider making the stripes black and white, lowering the opacity, and adding a Recolor adjustment. That way, the color of the stripes can be changed easily.

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

Even less uniform than pattern or halftone grid would be a separate object with a Bitmap Fill (<– Gradient Fill Tool). The selected bitmap's content + the tool's extend + scale/stretch + blend mode settings achieve quite various results, here combined again with an orange overlay fx.

255805149_bitmapfillblendmodescoloroverlay.thumb.jpg.67b29a26d75ba8edcc748a4868b40725.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1