You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo crashes constantly Build 1.9.2.1035

Hello community

I notice a huge amount of crashes with AP.

The crashes occur heavily when I perform operations with the perspective tool. I have the feeling that other tasks are involved as well because sometimes even saving takes extremely long.

I can also confirm this bug as described by other user:

Affinity Photo becomes unresponsive trying to do normal editing - Photo Bugs found on Windows - Affinity | Forum (serif.com)

If it happen, the only way to go ahead is to kill the AP task and restart the app as far as I know. 

It would be great if you provide some bug fixes with the next update.

Is there a workaround for this?

Are there any nightly builds of AP available?

Thanks in advance

Jayenbee

Edited by Jayenbee

For many users who are having problems in 1.9 the problem is with their graphics card drivers, due to the new Hardware Acceleration function being enabled by default if the graphics card claims to support it.

So if you're having a problem the first thing to do is see if you're using Hardware Acceleration:

1. Edit > Preferences
  2. Click on Performance
  3. Look at the bottom of the list. If Hardware Acceleration is on, turn it off, Close the Preferences, and restart the application.

If that resolves your problems, then you can investigate whether you need to update your drivers.

image.png.0f73cb1303a3d2e813914068441aeec7.png

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

My brain was in turmoil, the Puritan side in utter shock with the words my Heathen side was spewing. It seems one little box

was the root cause for my inner insurgence. Calm is what best describes that place now, thank you....thank you very much. Win 10 i5-7500 8 DDR4 Intel HD 630 (2017 Dell) 

Good to hear, @Jayenbee.

I think that means that your drivers may be downlevel or buggy, and you could try removing and updating them. But that's a bit more complex than I'm comfortable providing advice for.

But here's one post where a Serif staff member provided some advice:

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 6/17/2021 at 8:44 PM, Parker_Hayes said:

My brain was in turmoil, the Puritan side in utter shock with the words my Heathen side was spewing. It seems one little box

was the root cause for my inner insurgence. Calm is what best describes that place now, thank you....thank you very much. Win 10 i5-7500 8 DDR4 Intel HD 630 (2017 Dell) 

I don't know how this is related to the topic but I am glad if it helps you out in some way. 

On 6/17/2021 at 8:44 PM, Parker_Hayes said:

You should update your Intel graphics card driver. Or better uninstall and then reinstall it. Please do not use the driver that Dell provides you. Go to Intel and get the driver there.

On the Intel webside press the download button instead of "Get started"

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/30381/Intel-Graphics-Windows-10-DCH-Drivers

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

@Jayenbee You were not meant at all. 😉

The main thing is that the drivers helped you,

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!