You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo becomes unresponsive trying to do normal editing

• Staff
58 minutes ago, TsunamiChips said:

May I ask why did the hardware acceleration cause this? 

OpenCL is still in its early days within our apps but the main issue is that on Windows, there is a huge amount of hardware combinations and graphics drivers to contend with.

There was a similar issue on macOS when we first introduced hardware acceleration but there's a lot less combinations to get right so Windows will take a bit longer.

I would recommend keeping up to date with the Windows betas to check the OpenCL improvements but keep it disabled in the retail version until you are satisfied with the performance.

You are not necessarily losing anything by keeping OpenCL disabled—you just aren't gaining anything either.

Any chance you can provide your GPU make and model along with the driver version? We try to keep a record of as many as we can for testing.

• Staff

It looks like there's a 471.11 available for the 1650 - both Studio and Game Ready drivers seem to be on the same. The 466.77 is not that old either so it should really be working. Have you tried removing it completely and doing a clean install as opposed to just updating?

@RichardMHI think you have the same/similar model card no? Have you tried this yet?

I turned off Open CL and nothing has happen thus far. So I guess that was the main problem.

I do generally keep my graphic's card drivers up to date. 

In case of crashes, nothing has crashed since I disabled Open CL. 

Designer works perfectly fine, it was just Photo that had some issues. It also depended on which screen I have since I have a direct HDMI to one screen and a USB-C hub that goes to my other screen. The hub screen had the most issues, but the HDMI screen worked sometimes and sometimes just refused to work. 

• Staff
2 hours ago, TsunamiChips said:

Designer works perfectly fine

Designer is primarily vector graphics so a lot of the issues you'd see with Photo will not affect Designer unless you're in the Pixel Persona.

I'm pleased you have some sort of a 'solution/workaround' - feel free to try the beta now and then to see if it has improved but definitely keep it off in the retail version for now.

12 hours ago, Chris B said:

It looks like there's a 471.11 available for the 1650 - both Studio and Game Ready drivers seem to be on the same. The 466.77 is not that old either so it should really be working. Have you tried removing it completely and doing a clean install as opposed to just updating?

@RichardMHI think you have the same/similar model card no? Have you tried this yet?

I have it. I'll have a play and see what happens.

Hi from Germany,

I had similar issues, whenever I cut out an area and pasted in another Picture: the moment I worked on the pasted area Affinity photo crashed.

Deaktivation of OpenCL solved the problem.

In Germany, the path is:

Menu: Bearbeiten - Einstellungen - Performance - "OpenCL-Beschleunigung aktivieren" -> Haken herausnehmen, Programm neu starten

Olli