You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Export/Area selection lost with every new export

@Gabe, any chance also the Size fields for image exports could get included this way? 😍

It's especially disturbing when selections need to get exported repeatedly in a specific size. Not only because it starts each time with spread dimensions but also doesn't keep a custom set selection size even if just its type (+/- alpha) gets switched.

And, regardless of file type, how about an menu entry "Export as before…" which doesn't open the options dialog at all but directly the name/path dialog.

466821463_filemenuexportAsBefore.jpg.fa713ff70f4a23f6934bda203b5156f0.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

• 7 months later...
On 6/8/2021 at 6:04 PM, thomaso said:

And, regardless of file type, how about an menu entry "Export as before…" which doesn't open the options dialog at all but directly the name/path dialog.

Thanks @thomaso for linking to this thread, I missed it earlier.

I'm not fond of thisidea, having each file memorizing their export settings and displaying them when needing to xport again would suit more my need. Sometimes, I need to modify more than the file name, for example:

• adding a page in the list (after adding one in some part of the document)/ modifying the exported pages in the list (error in the previous export) / etc.
  • testing with more JPEG compression, etc. to get a smaller file
  • testing/needing another preset
  • exporting in another folder

In each case, I just need to modify 1 option... but I need to be ble to do it. And since we can work on many document a day, and sometimes just need to open a file, modify and export it, we'd better be able to check the previous export options, or we'll need to check each exported file.

The pages options for PDF export is in APub. Having one in AD, or exporting only visible Artboards would be nice also, but I'll have to create a feature request for this.

3 hours ago, Wosven said:

I'm not fond of thisidea

I don't understand why you mention this. Of course, "Export as before" is an additional option only. It doesn't limit you / you simply don't use it.

Also, it is not a substitute for the request of this thread, to keep the last used export settings in the dialog window.

"Export as before" is for those cases only when you did export, then detected a spot in your layout to change and after correction want to export again with identical export settings.

4 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Also, it is not a substitute for the request of this thread, to keep the last used export settings in the dialog window.

It's better with this comment, I though you didn't mind one or the other option.

5 minutes ago, thomaso said:

"Export as before" is for those cases only when you did export, then detected a spot in your layout to change and after correction want to export again with identical export settings.

But if the last settings are kept, this woudn't be necessary.

22 minutes ago, Wosven said:

But if the last settings are kept, this woudn't be necessary.

It would be less than currently, true, but still, you would not need to open the settings dialog just to press the "Export" button there to get access to the next dialog for name & path. So it would save 1 click every time its used. It might sound useless now but I experienced this in Lightroom and prefer using it instead of opening the settings dialog if I don't want to change a setting. It is kind of emotional: if the settings dialog opened, you automatically start reading / checking the settings and options. "Export as before" does avoid this step. I could even include an option (modifier key?) to overwrite eventually existing files if also the last path and name should get used.

16 minutes ago, thomaso said:

It is kind of emotional: if the settings dialog opened, you automatically start reading / checking the settings and options.

:D Perhaps I'm a control freak, but I want it, lol

I'd rather have a "save all" option, since with the "unexpected quit" of the apps, it's annoying to check/save each file before doing dreadful task like working on tables... or after an unexpected quit, check if everything is there after opening the backup files.