You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Character-level formatting in source PSD not correctly exporting to PDF

My source file is a PSD with text layers. I'm using Affinity Publisher to import these PSDs into a document, which I'm then exporting to PDF.

This has been working out very well for the most part, but I've discovered that some (not all) inline formatting isn't being preserved during the export to PDF. Italic text is a particular sticking point, as seen in the example below. PDF on the left, APub on the right.

image.thumb.png.a22f33951abb9f48bd209d77a9a2ea47.png

Pink Floyd was right. | Windows 10 · MacOS 10.14 · Arch Linux

• Staff

Seems like you're reporting a bug, Mac or Windows (so we can move your post) and please provide a sample afpub and describe any unusual export settings so we can try to replicate this

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Sure, I've attached a PSD and AFPUB with an example. Interestingly, I also just discovered that if I go to edit the PSD within APub, the italicized text becomes normal. If I open the PSD in APhoto, there is no italicized text.

Yes, this is a bug. Sorry for posting in the wrong location!

Sample master.psd Sample page.afpub

What about my attached PSD? And what was Pink Floyd right about?

It seems to be that the Affinities do not understand Faux Italic as it was used in the original document. Using "real italic" worked, but still got some warnings.

Sample master-fix.psd

EDIT: If Tracking is used on the text, you'll get some warnings too.

Edited by Joachim_L
Added more information

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

Ruh-roh - that makes sense, but puts me in a pickle. The files I'm working with were created by someone else, so I'm trying to avoid adding any steps to this whole project that involve me having to tediously edit the formatting of every italicized word/phrase in the text.

Is this still a bug, then, or a feature request? It'd be sweet if Affinity's products could properly interpret faux formatting applied to text layers (if that's even possible; I know nothing about the PSD format).

In the meantime...any thoughts on how I might mitigate this without manually editing ~700 pages?

(Oh P.S. Pink Floyd was right about time.)

• 2 weeks later...

Wonderful! Looking forward to the patch. I'll delay finding a different solution for my project and hopefully will be able to just use the fix. :)

• 1 month later...
On 6/10/2021 at 5:11 AM, stokerg said:

@ClairelyClaire,

Yup its a bug and i've just logged it with the Dev team to fix.

I've also moved this over to the bugs section of the Forums, so it's easier for the QA team to track :) 

Any update on this?