You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi bellascwherdt,

to edit text you created with the artistic text tool, you can use different methods.

• Simply double click with the Move Tool inside the bounding box (frame) of your art text object. The Art Text Tool will get selected and a blinking cursor will appear just where you clicked inside the text frame.
  • Or use the Move Tool to select the bounding box (frame) of your art text object and select the Art Text Tool (type T). A blinking cursor will appear, usually to the left of the first letter of your text frame or at the last position where it was placed.
  • Lastly, you can use the Art Text Tool directly. Just click within the (supposed) boundaries of your text frame. A blinking cursor will appear where you clicked.

Please note that it is often difficult to get into text frames, when you zoomed out a lot. Zoom a bit in, and you will be able to perform one of the above mentioned actions with ease. And here’s another hint. Suppose a word or phrase is highlighted within your text. Then there is an hierarchy of actions regarding the Escape key.

• Press the Escape key, and the word or phrase will get deselected, while the blinking cursor will remain within the text box at the end of the highlighted word or phrase
  • Press the Escape key a second time, and the blinking cursor will leave the the text frame.
  • Press the Escape key a third time, and the text box will get deselected.

Hope that helps …  :)

Cheers, Alex

Hei, moderators!

I have a similar problem. Usually editing my text after doing some other things on my artboard is not a problem. But at the moment I'm really puzzled. No matter what I do, it does not highlight the text. BUT in the original file it does select and highlight the text. Why is that?

I'm adding the file also. 

Help ! :)

MMATDK1.psd

• 3 weeks later...

I am new to Affinity, but a long time Adobe user and have a good understanding of graphic design in general... I just started to build a simple typography composition and have been struggling with trying to edit a text object that i created. Double clicking with the Move tool or the Node tool only put me into a deep edit mode where I have access to the individual character or the path for the character (both of which are awesome features by the way). But I am looking for a cursor prompt and can not seem to get back into an edit mode where I can retype my text or change other attributes. I am sure I am just missing something fundamental to Affinity.

Hi psyborg042,

and welcome here …  :)

It seems you have inadvertently converted your text object to curves. Therefore the text is not editable anymore. Editable text should have the label “(Text)” in the layers list (orange arrow in my screen shot), whereas text, converted to curves, will show up as a group of “(Curve)” layers.

Does that help?

Cheers, Alex  :)

post-1198-0-71096800-1447230946_thumb.png