You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Refine with quick mask on

Refine with quick mask on, output to selection: no selection

Refine with quick mask on, output to new layer: no new layer and current layer is turned off

Dave Straker

Cameras: Sony A7R2, RX100V

Computers: Win10: Chillblast i9 Custom + Philips 40in 4K & Benq 23in; Surface Pro 4 i5; iPad Pro 11"

Favourite word: Aha. For me and for others.

• Staff

Hi @dmstracker,
I'm getting the results you are reporting. The Refine Selection doesn't work at all if the Quick Mask is activated. I'm not sure it's supposed to work in those circumstances (It does work fine if you disable the Quick Mask). I guess it should exit Quick Mask mode automatically and switch to Refine.
I will check with the dev team and will get back to you.

1 hour ago, Gabe said:

Hi @dmstraker,

So that we are able to investigate bugs thoroughly could you please follow this link and update this post with the followings: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/71-bug-reporting/

Infor requested at link:

1. Are you using the latest release version?
    (here's how to check)
  2. Can you reproduce it?
    (if you cannot then we may struggle to also, making it even harder to fix)
  3. Does it happen for a new document? If not do you have a document you can share that shows the problem?
  4. If you cannot provide a sample document then please give an accurate description of the problem for example it should include most of the following:
  •    What is your operating system and version (Windows 10, OSX Mojave, iOS 12 etc)?
  •    What happened for you (and what you expected to happen)
  •    Provide a recipe for creating the problem (step-by-step what you did).
  •    Screenshots (very handy) or a screen capture/video.
  •    Any unusual hardware (like tablets or external monitors or drives that may affect things) or relevant other applications like font managers or display managers.
  •    Did this same thing used to work and if so have you changed anything recently? (software or hardware)

I can see a dilemma here. As QA, you want two things: (a) that users report bugs, and (b) that they give you information so you can easily verify the bugs. The dilemma is that the more info you request from users (for (b)), the less likely they are to report bugs (as (a)).

As a user, I'm happy to donate some time to report potential bugs. And as an ex-dev/QA, I'm more willing than most to spend more time on this. But like most people, I'm averse to hassle, and will weigh this against the desire to help.

So:

1. Yes.

2. Yes.

3. Yes.

4.a. Windows 10 Home latest. Version 2004. Installed 09/02/2021. OS build 19041.985. Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.2020.0

4.b.i. What happened for me was:

4.b.i.1. I made a selection using the selection brush.

4.b.i.2. I turned on the quick mask to see more clearly what I had selected.

4.b.i.3. I continued to use the selection brush.

4.b.i.4. I clicked on 'Refine'.

4.b.i.5. Under 'Output', I selected 'New Layer'.

4.b.i.6. I clicked on 'Apply'.

4.b.i.7. The result was that:

4.b.i.7.a. The selection was not copied to a new layer.

4.b.i.7.b. The pixel layer was turned off, so a checkerboard appeared.

4.b.i.7.c. The selection was lost.

4.b.ii.a. What I was expecting was that the selected area would be refined, colour decontaminated, and placed on a new layer.

4.b.ii.b. If Refine would not work I would expect a click on the Refine button to result in no effect, or an explanatory popup.

4.c. To reproduce this:

4.c.i. In a pixel layer, make a selection using the selection brush.

4.c.ii. Turn on the quick mask.

4.c.iii. Click on 'Refine'.

4.c.iv. Under 'Output', select 'New Layer'.

4.c.v. Click on 'Apply'.

4.d. Screen shots? Videos? I've already spent quite a while on the above. If you require more, please let me know and I will supply.

4.e. External hardware include old USB Bamboo tablet, but this is not used, amplifier for speakers, Focusrite Solo microphone preamp, Dynamite inline preamp, Shure XLR microphone, Epson P600 printer.

4.f. I don't know if it used to work. It just happened so I thought I'd help out by reporting it. Nothing changed recently.

Phew. Not something I'll plan to do again. But it is replying literally to the request.

Can I may make a suggestion? How about doing an online bug reporting system. Nothing complex, but designed to combine acquiring the most useful information while making supply of this as easy as possible. Good UX and all that. For example radio buttons, etc. for one-click data supply.

Dave Straker

Computers: Win10: Chillblast i9 Custom + Philips 40in 4K & Benq 23in; Surface Pro 4 i5; iPad Pro 11"

7 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi @dmstracker,
I'm getting the results you are reporting. The Refine Selection doesn't work at all if the Quick Mask is activated. I'm not sure it's supposed to work in those circumstances (It does work fine if you disable the Quick Mask). I guess it should exit Quick Mask mode automatically and switch to Refine.
I will check with the dev team and will get back to you.

Thanks, @MEB. See response to @Gabe. A simple bug reporting system might help all round.

Dave Straker