You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• Staff

Apologies for the delayed response @YAR Oracool, unfortunately our developers haven't yet been able to pinpoint the exact cause of the crash from the files provided, so we'd like to generate a crash dump for the app through command line.

Can you please;

• Download ProcDump from the following link - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/sysinternals/downloads/procdump
  • Extract the files from the zip folder, then create a new folder on the root of your C:\ drive called ProcDump then move procdump64.exe into this folder.
  • Open Command Prompt (cmd from the Run dialog) then type  cd\procdump  and press enter.
  • now paste the following string and press enter, then make sure you leave CMD running.

procdump64.exe -e 1 -ma -accepteula  -w photo.exe -x.

• Now with CMD running in the background, try launching Affinity Photo and wait for the app to crash/close.
  • Open the folder C:\ProcDump - hopefully you will have a .dmp file created here that you can upload to your response.

Many thanks for your continued patience and understanding here, it's certainly more than appreciated!

28 minutes ago, Dan C said:

Apologies for the delayed response @YAR Oracool, unfortunately our developers haven't yet been able to pinpoint the exact cause of the crash from the files provided, so we'd like to generate a crash dump for the app through command line.

Can you please;

• Download ProcDump from the following link - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/sysinternals/downloads/procdump
  • Extract the files from the zip folder, then create a new folder on the root of your C:\ drive called ProcDump then move procdump64.exe into this folder.
  • Open Command Prompt (cmd from the Run dialog) then type  cd\procdump  and press enter.
  • now paste the following string and press enter, then make sure you leave CMD running.

procdump64.exe -e 1 -ma -accepteula  -w photo.exe -x.

• Now with CMD running in the background, try launching Affinity Photo and wait for the app to crash/close.
  • Open the folder C:\ProcDump - hopefully you will have a .dmp file created here that you can upload to your response.

Many thanks for your continued patience and understanding here, it's certainly more than appreciated!

So... there are some strange stuff going on. The Dump files were created but not for the crash. one of them talked about something not being connected to the name space and another one nagged about bit map so I had a bunch of trouble keeping the command running before the crash happened since those were cought before it.

But I did manage to make it work when the software crashed but that didn't make a dump file. It gave me this image. It's like nothing has even happened.

I have the 2 dump files but there are 0 ways for me to send them here since each of them are 2.6GB+ and this place caps out at 1.99GB

cmd_FtRtf2aLCR.png

• Staff
1 hour ago, YAR Oracool said:

I have the 2 dump files but there are 0 ways for me to send them here since each of them are 2.6GB+ and this place caps out at 1.99GB

Thanks for producing those and the further information provided, can you please upload these to the below link for me? :)

https://www.dropbox.com/request/diFpA3xI8YnKPYQZXUlz

Once uploaded, please reply here to let me know!

27 minutes ago, Dan C said:

Many thanks for the .dmp file!

Our developers believe this issue is being caused by a conflict between Affinity and AquaSnap Window Manager - can you please try disabling/uninstalling AquaSnap and let us know if this stops the app from crashing for you? :)

Sorry for the delay. The second file failed to upload when I was sleep and I had to go out in the morning so that is why the second file isn't there.

I will give that a shot but still confuses me why it only started to cause trouble now and with Affinity Photo only?

• Staff
2 minutes ago, YAR Oracool said:

Sorry for the delay. The second file failed to upload when I was sleep and I had to go out in the morning so that is why the second file isn't there.

That's no problem at all, I certainly understand and hopefully just one file should be plenty.

1 minute ago, YAR Oracool said:

I will give that a shot but still confuses me why it only started to cause trouble now and with Affinity Photo only?

Thank you, we appreciate it!

It appears as though the application is crashing when displaying a 'toast' message, I'm not 100% certain why only Photo is affected due to this, but our developers are continuing to investigate the file provided, so they may find further info to help provide reasoning for this.

Another possibility, looking at the crash report is MacType, as this looks to be an application that adjusts on screen text to appear more like macOS, and this may be conflicting with the toast in Affinity Photo. If you do not have success with disabling AquaSnap, can you please try disabling MacType also?

Do you have any other utility style applications, like the two listed above, installed on your computer currently? :)

8 minutes ago, Dan C said:

That's no problem at all, I certainly understand and hopefully just one file should be plenty.

It appears as though the application is crashing when displaying a 'toast' message, I'm not 100% certain why only Photo is affected due to this, but our developers are continuing to investigate the file provided, so they may find further info to help provide reasoning for this.

Another possibility, looking at the crash report is MacType, as this looks to be an application that adjusts on screen text to appear more like macOS, and this may be conflicting with the toast in Affinity Photo. If you do not have success with disabling AquaSnap, can you please try disabling MacType also?

Do you have any other utility style applications, like the two listed above, installed on your computer currently? :)

I certainly have and I knew Aqua snap didn't play ball with Affinity before. For example it has a command that makes a window transparrent and Affinity was teh only software that didn't obey this command.

Another utility I have that directly commands windows is Tidy Tabs by the same people who made AquaSnap. I say the culpret should be MACType which is the only new software in my system and has changed stuff in a registry level.

I tried quiting BOTH Aqua Snap & Tidy Tabs and just as I thought they had nothing to do with the crash. Program shutoff after the splash screen. Gonna try... to get rid of MAC Type... like I told that thing to change the registry... getting rid of it is hard.

Edited by YAR Oracool
Results

1 hour ago, Dan C said:

I can still send the second dump file if you want.

Ok I did some tests and here are the results. TidyTabs & AquaSnap absolutly had no effect on the crash.

I changed MACType for registery mode to Tray mode so I can make it be disabled on programs I want and I did disable it for Photo and hadn't had a crash for now. but let's not jump to conclusion yet. I have a semi heavy editing task this week for uni so let's wait for that to finish than make conslusion.

To disable a program in MACType you either just go in and disable it in the proccessor or use a black list. The proccessor needs you to disable it every single time you open the program.

To disable a program in MACType you either just go in and disable it in the proccessor or use a black list. The proccessor needs you to disable it every single time you open the program To do this open the proccess manager for MACType which is just a double click the tray icon and it open up the Proccess manager find Photo.exe and crash handler.exe and right clock them and press the second option from the list for MACType to put them in the ignore list.

If anybody knows how to exclude something in Registry mode please let me know since even in registry mode it looks at an ini file you chopose which has an exclude and an unload list but in my experience I hadn't managed to make it not render Affinity photo.

Edited by YAR Oracool
Figured out how to disable MACType Try Mode in Affinity Photo Permenently.

• Staff
3 hours ago, YAR Oracool said:

I appreciate the offer, though I don't think this is necessary currently :)

3 hours ago, YAR Oracool said:

Ok I did some tests and here are the results. TidyTabs & AquaSnap absolutly had no effect on the crash.

I changed MACType for registery mode to Tray mode so I can make it be disabled on programs I want and I did disable it for Photo and hadn't had a crash for now. but let's not jump to conclusion yet. I have a semi heavy editing task this week for uni so let's wait for that to finish than make conslusion.

Thanks for the update, I sincerely hope that you continue to experience no crashing with this disabled for the Affinity apps!

Should you find the app continues to hang/crash over the weekend, our developers have requested that you run procdump once more, with a slightly updated string, which I have included below -

procdump64.exe -e -ma -accepteula  -w photo.exe -x.

4 hours ago, Dan C said:
4 hours ago, YAR Oracool said:

It appears as though the application is crashing when displaying a 'toast' message, I'm not 100% certain why only Photo is affected due to this

I can confirm that Affinity Photo contains an option in Preferences to Warn when assigning working profile to unprofiled documents, this is a 'toast' message that appears in the top right of the app and isn't present in Designer or Publisher - which likely explains why this issue is affecting Affinity Photo only!

Many, many thanks once again for any further information/updates you provide :)

3 hours ago, Dan C said:

I can confirm that Affinity Photo contains an option in Preferences to Warn when assigning working profile to unprofiled documents, this is a 'toast' message that appears in the top right of the app and isn't present in Designer or Publisher - which likely explains why this issue is affecting Affinity Photo only!

It just hit me. this explains why Affinity Designer and Publisher don't crash but Affinity Photo Beta doesn't crash either. Why is that?

10 minutes ago, YAR Oracool said:

It just hit me. this explains why Affinity Designer and Publisher don't crash but Affinity Photo Beta doesn't crash either. Why is that?

Do you have that same option set in Affinity Photo Beta?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff
On 5/28/2021 at 1:45 PM, YAR Oracool said:

Dan is away this week and I wanted to see if you managed to upload a second dump file using the newer instructions from Dan below? This will allow our developers to figure out what's causing the issue.

On 5/28/2021 at 5:26 PM, Dan C said:

9 hours ago, Leigh said:

Dan is away this week and I wanted to see if you managed to upload a second dump file using the newer instructions from Dan below? This will allow our developers to figure out what's causing the issue.

Hello hello hello.

Sorry.. I hadn't really had the time since it's exam season and all and turning off affinity in MaCType has fixed the crash issue which I still don't know why it doesn't affect the beta.

I will add Affinity back to MACType tomorrow to bring the crashes back and make the dump file and upload again.

Edited by YAR Oracool
Typo

On 6/2/2021 at 5:30 PM, Leigh said:

Well I made a new procdump and affinity hung around this time but was unusable while it was making the file and closed after so... should I uplaod a file that was made after affinity got nuked?

Also a second question. Can I upload the dump file in a cloud storage that is good?
Like Mega and give you the link? So I don't have to start the uplaod from scratch if a single connection lssue happens. Since Mega can resume unlike Dropbox.

Also... this is what the console said... that's a lot of exception! The last command didn't give nearly as many exceptions before making a procdump file. also the size is almost doubled.

gtBqkwy97Z.png

Edited by YAR Oracool
Forgot to uplaod the image.

On 5/28/2021 at 8:56 PM, Dan C said:

I appreciate the offer, though I don't think this is necessary currently :)

Thanks for the update, I sincerely hope that you continue to experience no crashing with this disabled for the Affinity apps!

Should you find the app continues to hang/crash over the weekend, our developers have requested that you run procdump once more, with a slightly updated string, which I have included below -

I'm not reciving any reply for my last messge. 

Are you guys still working on this?

I have the new Dump File, I just hadn't uploaded it because Dropbox is very annoying to use

• Staff

My sincerest apologies for the delayed response here!

I have created a Mega account (as I have not used this service previously), but there does not appear to be 'File Request' link option, like dropbox.

If you're happy to upload it to your Mega account, then post a link so we can access/download the procdumps then this is perfectly acceptable :)

I'll then be sure to pass your new dumps and information through to our devs - once again many thanks for your continued patience and understanding here!

1 hour ago, Dan C said:

My sincerest apologies for the delayed response here!

I have created a Mega account (as I have not used this service previously), but there does not appear to be 'File Request' link option, like dropbox.

If you're happy to upload it to your Mega account, then post a link so we can access/download the procdumps then this is perfectly acceptable :)

I'll then be sure to pass your new dumps and information through to our devs - once again many thanks for your continued patience and understanding here!

Yes. I suggest to upload to my own MEGA and you download it.

Since we are dealing with double the size and I had to reupload the previous one 5 times, I thought using a service that doesn't need me to start from scratch when something fails would be more efficient.

17 hours ago, Dan C said:

Of course, I completely understand!
Once uploaded, please provide the link here for me to download :)

https://mega.nz/file/z54imTzR#4gjtjFUBX_e5H5vcIb-YJV-qDTaSTQrewanIqyYB2Mw

OK... I did it. Just to be on the safe side the downlaods of this guy can continue if your internet cuts off or something and if you are on a free virsion you might have to change IP every now with a VPN or something and than or just wait because they added a soft lock after a while but I'm an old user so that policy doesn't apply to me so means I'm not sure if that's real or not. I just heard about this.

• Staff

Many thanks for the link provided, I'll be sure to pass this onto our devs now and reply here asap!

@MarcelRe,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums :)

I can confirm this thread is regarding Affinity for Windows and a crash on launch - as your issue sounds rather separate from this, can you please create a new thread so that it can be investigated as it's own issue?

Many thanks in advance!