You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Selecting a layer from the workspace

Hi, I happen to import pdfs into affinity photo because I need to convert some web-optimized pages to jpg.

Also, I often have to edit or hide a text and I'd like to know if there is a way to select a text layer from the workspace (where I can see the pdf and interact with it), so that I don't have to manually search for that particular layer from the "Levels" tab where there are many elements.

Thanks for all your answers.

1 hour ago, prophet said:

Select the object, then got to "Layer > Find in Layers Panel"

Thanks, I'm new with affinity photo, so could you please tell me if it is right to select with the freehand selection tool? However, I can't see Find in Layers Panel options, have I to use Photo persona? Thank you for your reply.

Son of a…Photo seems to inexplicably lack the "Find in Layers Panel" option! What an odd…choice?…error?

Sorry for the wrong info @Wolf_. Do you have the other Affinity apps? They are likely a better choice anyway for manipulating existing PDFs.

6 hours ago, prophet said:

Son of a…Photo seems to inexplicably lack the "Find in Layers Panel" option! What an odd…choice?…error?

It exists but not in the main menus

@Wolf_ Use the Move Tool to select the layer/object you want then right-click and you will see the option "Find in Layers Panel" there

Post back if not doing as you want as there are other options, such as Auto-scroll, which may help you

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

8 hours ago, prophet said:

Oh come on! Let's have some UI consistency please!

All three apps include the right-click "Find in Layers Panel" option so the inconsistency here is only AD includes that option in the Layer menu.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7