You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Creating guides seams to me to be inverted

Doesn't happen for me. View - Guides Manager and then click the icon at the bottom of the Vertical Guides area creates a vertical guide halfway across the document. This is in Affinity Photo 1.9.3 using macOS 11.2.

Which app are you using, and which operating system? Could you provide a screen shot or video?

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

5 minutes ago, AndRo Marian said:

Are you sure is that guide for the Vertical indicator and not Horizontal? For my is Vertical for Horizontal

Vertical guides run vertically (top to bottom) & horizontal ones run horizontally (left to right). That is what your video shows. It is the expected behavior.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

2 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Vertical guides run vertically (top to bottom) & horizontal ones run horizontally (left to right). That is what your video shows. It is the expected behavior.

But not the logic behavior. There you use Height for Horizontal and Width for Vertical 😕
No way to inverse how should be to me? Horizontal = Width, Vertical = Height

2 minutes ago, AndRo Marian said:

There you use Height for Horizontal and Width for Vertical 😕

I am not sure what you mean by that. Guides have no width or height of their own. 

It is completely logical: they are positioned not by width or height but by distance from an edge, a vertical edge for vertical guides & a horizontal edge for horizontal ones.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

The dimension is the position of the guide with respect to the origin, which is normally the top left corner of the document.

Vertical guides go up and down, horizontal guides go left and right. For a vertical guide (as below) the value in pixels is the distance of the guide from the y axis:

I fail to see what's illogical about that.

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

Just now, R C-R said:

I am not sure what you mean by that. Guides have no width or height of their own. 

It is completely logical: they are positioned not by width or height but by distance from an edge, a vertical edge for vertical guides & a horizontal edge for horizontal ones.

I am refering that you put a Horizontal guide but you use the document Height to find the center. Same for the Vertical, you use the Width.

Even in reality. If you want to measure a distance from Top to Bottom you will drag a Horizontal line, not Vertical.

11 minutes ago, AndRo Marian said:

But not the logic behavior.

?  - Maybe it's more obvious if you show the rulers too here then, since the guides follow the rulers orientation.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

5 minutes ago, AndRo Marian said:

Even in reality. If you want to measure a distance from Top to Bottom you will drag a Horizontal line, not Vertical.

??? In the real world, if I want to measure the distance from the top to the bottom of something, I position my ruler or tape measure vertically, from the top to the bottom of the object.

Affinity Photo 

5 minutes ago, R C-R said:

??? In the real world, if I want to measure the distance from the top to the bottom of something, I position my ruler or tape measure vertically, from the top to the bottom of the object.

And draw a horizontal line to the start and to the end. Not Vertical. Or you put a dot on some cases.
Not you understand what I mean?

7 minutes ago, AndRo Marian said:

And draw a horizontal line. Not Vertical.

You probably mean more the scaling/measuring lines then (?), like on these for example too ...

school_rulers4.jpg.afc21f981b9dd3a41f9198876cf84ea8.jpg

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

"Horizontal" and "vertical" refer to the orientation of the guides, not to the position of what you're measuring. You do indeed use a horizontal guide to measure the vertical distance from the origin to the position of the guide. But the guide itself is horizontal, and that's why it's called a horizontal guide.

In other words: vertical guides are parallel to the y axis. Horizontal guides are parallel to the x axis.  

Every graphic application I have ever used has this convention. Arguing against it is fruitless.

Edited by h_d
added "to the position of"

15 minutes ago, h_d said:

You do indeed use a horizontal guide to measure the vertical distance from the origin to the position of the guide. But the guide itself is horizontal, and that's why it's called a horizontal guide.

I refer you to my previous answer.

3 minutes ago, AndRo Marian said:

I think so. But more here to what I mean.

Measuring Vertical you draw Horizontal lines. To Measure Horizontal you draw Vertical lines.

It may make more sense to you if you think of the ruler as the guide: as in your video you position the ruler vertically to make your (more or less) horizontal mark.

Affinity Photo 

7 minutes ago, R C-R said:

It may make more sense to you if you think of the ruler as the guide: as in your video you position the ruler vertically to make your (more or less) horizontal mark.

But the ruler is not a guide (Even if you put the marks, is not anymore), is a tool that you measure the distance. The Horizontal marks are the guides to know where to cut or how.

Every guide you drag onto your screen in your video is horizontal. All those guides run from left to right. They are parallel with the x axis. They are horizontal with respect to your document. They are horizontal. That is why they are called horizontal. I could carry on all night... 

A ruler is a tool that provides guides for making measurements. The marks one makes when using it are not by themselves guides. You need at least two marks & a line drawn between them for that.

Affinity Photo 

1 minute ago, R C-R said:

A ruler is a tool that provides guides for making measurements. The marks one makes when using it are not guides.

Absolutely. Because you then need to use a set square to extend the mark perpendicularly across the object you're measuring. The line you draw with the set square is the guide. And for a vertical measurement, the guide runs horizontally. That's why it's called a horizontal guide.

Yea. But in this case the ruler is invisible. So you go to measure Vertically to put a Horizontal guide...
Maybe I think too much on how on the paper I do. And I expect to be something the same on Guide Manager.
Anyway, dragging from Rulers works as expected.

Whichever way you cut it you are wrong. The rulers are not invisible.

235145899_Screenshot2021-05-02at01_26_20.png.a44fef6e8a8542a5018b5667fdf5869f.png

By default, they measure from the top left-hand corner of the document. You can drag them to any position you like.

If you cannot see them, you can make them visible by going to View>Show Rulers.

Now, if the ruler runs vertically, then the guide that runs out from it is horizontal:

2067463136_Screenshot2021-05-02at01_29_57.thumb.png.c1a36c1298889db18b71df5bc9fd1fb3.png

It is the equivalent of a set square, try square, call it what you will in the real world. It is perpendicular to the vertical ruler. In other words is is horizontal. That is why it is called a horizontal guide.

EDIT: sorry, posted before completing.

Edited by h_d

3 minutes ago, h_d said:

Whichever way you cut it you are wrong. The ruler are not invisible.

235145899_Screenshot2021-05-02at01_26_20.png.a44fef6e8a8542a5018b5667fdf5869f.png

By default, they measure from the top left-hand corner of the document. You can drag them to any position you like.

If you cannot see them, you can make them visible by going to View>Show Rulers.

Now, if the ruler runs vertically, then the guide that runs out from it is horizontal.

I think you miss some comments that makes a difference from Software Ruler and the Real Life ruler practice and the Guide Manager.

Already I say when Dragging from the Software ruler, from Top to Bottom makes a Guide like in realy life ruler with Horizontal Marks (Guides).
Just is not the same for the Guide Manager, Horizontal is Horizontal and Vertical is Vertical, is not like you measure Vertical with a ruler in Real Life and you put Horizontal guides.

In the real world I use a real-life steel ruler to measure the vertical distance on my real-life piece of wood. I make a mark on the wood, at the position I want to cut. I then extend that mark perpendicularly to the mark using a real-life wood and steel try square.

The extension of the one-dimensional mark to two dimensions, as drawn by the try square, is my cutting guide. It is perpendicular to the orientation of the ruler - in other words it is horizontal, and of itself it is not a measurement. The try square does not measure, it guides.

In Affinity Photo, I do exactly the same thing.

I use the virtual ruler to measure the vertical distance along my computer image. I position a guide perpendicular to the measurement - this is my virtual try square. 

The two-dimensional extension of the guide from a one-dimensional point on the vertical ruler is perpendicular to the orientation of the ruler - in other words it is horizontal, and of itself it is not a measurement. The guides do not measure, they guide.

Real world steel ruler = Affinity ruler > it measures

Real world try square = Affinity guide > it is perpendicular to ruler, it does not measure.

19 minutes ago, h_d said:

In the real world I use a real-life steel ruler to measure the vertical distance on my real-life piece of wood. I make a mark on the wood, at the position I want to cut. I then extend that mark perpendicularly to the mark using a real-life wood and steel try square.

The extension of the mark from one dimension to two, as drawn by the try square, is my cutting guide. It is perpendicular to the orientation of the ruler - in other words it is horizontal, and of itself it is not a measurement. The try square does not measure, it guides.

In Affinity Photo, I do exactly the same thing.

I use the virtual ruler to measure the vertical distance along my computer image. I position a guide perpendicular to the measurement - this is my virtual try square. 

The two-dimensional extension of the guide from a one-dimensional point on the vertical ruler is perpendicular to the orientation of the ruler - in other words it is horizontal, and of itself it is not a measurement. The guides do not measure, they guide.

Real world steel ruler = Affinity ruler > it measures

Real world try square = Affinity guide > it is perpendicular to ruler, it does not measure.

You are going way too much out of this subject that I debating here. I think you still not understand what this is about. It's about Guide Manager and how that works.
I expected to put a Ruler on the screen to measure Vertically, Going to Guide Manager, to Vertical and that should create a Horizontal line (Like in the Paper video, a Horizontal line).
What you don't understand?

Edit:

Other thing. You are moving the Horizontal guides up and down. So that is Vertically too.