You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Surprising new(?) behavior for layer visibility?

Hi,

I was working with Designer on my Windows laptop today and ran into a behavior I have not recognized previously.

I am used to selecting multiple layers in the layers list by selecting and highlighting a layer and then using a Shift+ left click on another layer to select all of the layers that span the two selections.

I am finding that on many but not all occasions when I perform the Shift+left click the visibility status of the layer switches to invisible.

To be clear, I am not clicking within the visibility check box, and the switch does not cycle back and forth. The action is only one way. In other words, I can inadvertently turn off the visibility by clicking anywhere in the layer list slot, but can not turn it back on unless I specifically click within the intended visibility check box.

I can reproduce the action, but not 100% of the time. It seems as if there is some sort of timing or time out function where the reaction to the click is either interpreted as a selection cue or rather as a visibility  modifier. 

Am I crazy? has it always been this way, or is it an unintended behavior that I can find a fix for?

Thank you.

Designer 1.9.2.1035 on Windows 7 x64 laptop running with a Wacom Tablet

7 hours ago, Otto Manuel said:

I am finding that on many but not all occasions when I perform the Shift+left click the visibility status of the layer switches to invisible.

Yes, I also sometimes turn off the visibility of the layer on which they mark the end of the selection, and I also don't know under what conditions this occurs. I tried clicking on the thumbnail, left, right, and it still works as it should, or sometimes visibility is lost. Magic :-) 

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

Thanks for confirming that I am not crazy.

I guess I do not use Shift+click as often as I use the Ctrl+click or grouping to make selections of multiple layers, but when I do this issue negates any possible convenience the "shift+" command seems intended to provide.

This seems like a "feature" that would be fixed in a maintenance release.

It was driving me sort of crazy to find that parts of my drawing kept disappearing, which is why I finally paused to figure out what was happening.

It is going to drive me even crazier knowing it is a known issue that is not being addressed.

Is this an oversight, or is there some user perspective where this functionality is useful?

Thank you!