You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

defringe filter numeric hue input, field description, px or %

Hi,

the defringe filter differs in Develop Persona and Phtoto Persona.

1. The option to enter the Fringe Color as numeric value is missing in Photo Persona. Please add the numeric input.
  2. A color picker is missing implemented, but lacks proper documented. Please add a color picker for proper description how to use the defringe filter in Photo Persona. (Clicking to a pixel in the canvas samples the color)
  3. The Description of the fields differs. Please use the same description (Hue or Frindge Color. I assume Hue is the more correct one, as Color would include Brightness, which has its own slider)
  4. The unit of Radius differs, despite using the same initial value of 30. I would assume that px is correct, and % is incorrect.
  5. The sequence of Tolerance and Radius is inconsistent (which to come 1st / 2nd in UI)
  6. Don't forget to adjust the help text, too. The help text for the live filter forgets to mention the blend mode and opacity.

Thank you for considering this request.

image.png.a2831edf54e66d7bec43fd7dc839fcf2.png

image.png.e6b15125906f65bd3a341e254e329811.png

Edited by NotMyFault
removed typos; corrected picker tool is available and only lacks proper documentation.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi,

Anything changed here?  I'm using the Windows 1.10.4.1198 version of Affinity Photo (October 2021):

1. I can access a Defringe dialogue box by three routes and none of them have a Picker option
  2. Only the Develop Persona has a numeric input option for the  Hue slider, shows the current value & lets you change the value by editing the current numeric value

If I invoke the Affinity Photo Help & enter the defringe search term,  the top Defringe entry includes the statement "This adjustment is only available in Develop Persona."

The second Defringe entry, which I assume applies to the Photo Persona,  includes the statement "...This can be manually adjusted as necessary in the dialog, or by sampling the fringe colour on the page to remove it..." Lacking a Picker option I have found no way to sample the fringe colour.

Being able to use a picker tool to set the hue/fringe colour would potentially make the tool easier to use, as would being able to note the current Photo Persona fringe colour value & change it directly without using the slider control, as is possible under the Develop Persona.

5 minutes ago, ciscrh said:

Hi,

Anything changed here?  I'm using the Windows 1.10.4.1198 version of Affinity Photo (October 2021):

1. I can access a Defringe dialogue box by three routes and none of them have a Picker option
  2. Only the Develop Persona has a numeric input option for the  Hue slider, shows the current value & lets you change the value by editing the current numeric value

If I invoke the Affinity Photo Help & enter the defringe search term,  the top Defringe entry includes the statement "This adjustment is only available in Develop Persona."

The second Defringe entry, which I assume applies to the Photo Persona,  includes the statement "...This can be manually adjusted as necessary in the dialog, or by sampling the fringe colour on the page to remove it..." Lacking a Picker option I have found no way to sample the fringe colour.

Being able to use a picker tool to set the hue/fringe colour would potentially make the tool easier to use, as would being able to note the current Photo Persona fringe colour value & change it directly without using the slider control, as is possible under the Develop Persona.

Thanks for following up on this issue.

The color picker (in Photo Persona) is actually already already implemented. Just click by mouse into your image to pick a hue. It is only lacking proper documentation, and help in the bottom line of the window.

image.png.8cc2feb4272f89f9a5a2d6aa534be7f7.png

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

Hi,

Something has happened since I last looked at it in detail, but I'm not sure that it working properly. I tend to use live filters in the photo persona so that I can update or undo the correction. I've got a digital image of a slide I took in the 80s & photographed the slide using a digital camera about 9 years ago. The image has significant blue/orange fringing.

If I zoom in to the right chimney area, activate a defringe live filter & click on the yellow fringing not much happens until I reduce the Edge Brightness Threshold to a suitable value (say from 95% to 85%). This removes some but by no means all of the yellow fringe. If I use the mouse wheel in the input value box to modify the value by a few percent either side of 85% the amount of defringing changes but not in a consistent manner, so sometimes it reduces defringing at 85%, but not always. While I'm doing this the fringe colour rainbow tends to move around, as does the circle indicating the current colour (say yellow or red). If the circle is red the defringe effect is usually minimal, but if I click on the rainbow yellow colour in the selector rainbow then the defringing effect  may be improved, possibly considerably.

I've just done what I described as I wrote this response & it doesn't make much sense to me, but it is what is happening. I would say that the defringe filter is not behaving in a consistent or repeatable manner. Tinker around with it enough & I can remove most of the blue and yellow fringing, usually by applying 2 or more live filters.

0934-84.jpg