You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is there a way to stop updates from showing up? What is being offered is for the newest OS and will no longer download on my system. At some point I will certainly update to Big Sur but for now I am required to be running Mojave due to the peripherals and software required by my employer no longer being supported. The only way I can get rid of the notifications appears to be trying to let them download and getting an error message they are not compatible. And regularly repeating this.  Or do I need to stop using this software to resolve this (I have a paid version of two pieces of Affinity software.)

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, @trout. :)

What are you trying to download, and from where? The Affinity apps for Mac are compatible with OS X Mavericks (10.9) or later, but it seems that you’re not the only Mojave user to have experienced problems with Affinity updates.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

37 minutes ago, trout said:

Is there a way to stop updates from showing up? What is being offered is for the newest OS and will no longer download on my system. At some point I will certainly update to Big Sur but for now I am required to be running Mojave due to the peripherals and software required by my employer no longer being supported.

Well that's more a Mojave AppStore app related problem then, since the Affinity apps do run usually on Mojave too (I use them on El Capitan which is much older). The Affinity apps are nowadays fat binaries (universal binaries, which contain both the Intel & ARM M1 CPU execution code), so they should run on your Mojave system too.

Some AppStore updates will always penetrating show up, like that one for Apple Big Sur, but be forwarned actually I won't migrate over to that one (Big Sur) since it may still not yet behave that well on Intel CPU based hardware. - Some dev coworkers in the company got tired of always seeing the Update indication for Big Sur flashing up on their MacbookPro's and then somehow in mental derangement updated their nowadays halfway stable Catalina to it (of course against the advice from our system administrators to not do so yet). Well the result afterwards was that they had some massiv problems with certain for our business critical software (... databases, docker ... etc.).

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Affinity software runs fine and has since I installed them a long time ago. It is the updates I am curious about opting out of as when the process completes it ends with an error message my OS is no longer supported.. I'd like to find a way of stopping the waste of time provoked by the nonfunctional updates. At least until after I am using an OS they do work with.

Affinity Photo and Affinity Publisher both are working fine on Mojave without them.

By comparison, it was really easy to turn off the notifications to update to Catalina and then to Big Sur. The suggestion is still there to do so but not any in-my-face imperative for it. 

I'm hoping Affinity also has such an option as I'm not wanting to shut off the other updates that will install with no problem.

As for the question what and from where. These are Affinity's updates for Big Sur from the App Store.

Edited by trout

19 minutes ago, trout said:

As for the question what and from where. These are Affinity's updates for Big Sur from the App Store.

The updates for the Mac versions of the Affinity apps aren’t solely for Big Sur.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I assume that they will work for Catalina too but I get a message that my OS, Mojave, is no longer supported every time they finish downloading. Until sometime well after Catalina came out all updates downloaded and installed just fine for me.

I assume if I had Catalina they would download fine.

Edited by trout

8 minutes ago, trout said:

I assume that they will work for Catalina too but I get a message that my OS, Mojave, is no longer supported every time they finish downloading. Until sometime well after Catalina came out all updates downloaded and installed just fine for me.

I assume if I had Catalina they would download fine.

As I said previously it seems to be more some Mojave AppStore related problem/bug here with the Affinity Installers then. - You can try to reset the Mojave AppStore app (kill the update deamon temporary) or logout out completely and then login again with the Mojave AppStore app, in order to see if that probably changes some behaviour here.

The Affinity apps should usually run and be supported on MacOS 10.9 Mavericks -- till --> 11.0 Big Sur.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Thanks, I'll try that. I do want and need any update that will run on my OS. I'd just like to lessen wasting time on any that don't. Which is so far limited to the Affinity updates.

As mentioned the Affinity apps themselves are all running just fine without their updates so no argument at all about them being supported for Mojave. 

I'm on Mojave and have the latest 1.9.2 App Store versions of Designer and Photo downloaded and install without issue, now working great.

There where app store problems with the last 1.9.1 versions not downloading in Mojave just hanging which caused a lot of grief :

Here is a temp solution that may help as it looks like something is wrong with App Store on Mojave:

On 2/26/2021 at 7:44 AM,  Dazmondo77 said: 

For any other Mojave users who have had trouble with the MAS hanging on all downloads (for me on two different macs running Mojave) I found a solution that worked from a user (User366) on stack exchange, that sorted the app store:

APP Store Fix

Go to Activity Monitor and force-kill appstoreagent process. The app started to download at once. After force-killing appstoreagent, there was no need to log out and log in again in the App Store. Updates and downloads just work again.

Hope this helps

Now have Pub Des Pho working great on both Macs - Great work team

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

I’m still on Mojave too and yesterday updated both Designer and Photo on the Mac App Store.
Photo went without a hitch but Designer would hang at about 90% took 3 goes before finally completing.
There were widely reported issues with nothing downloading from the MAS site for us Mojave users last month but Apple seems to have finally sorted that out now. I've certainly had no problems updating other apps via the store recently.
As for warnings about compatibility I’ve never seen one of those given for the Affinity apps. No idea why you should be seeing that.

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

I will give that a try. Thanks Dazmondo 77. Also others who tried telling me this and I did not grasp what was being said.

markw: Me either. It was working fine until some months ago following a security update.

I suspect I am on the path to resolving this. The advice changed my original goal of shutting it off to getting the update download fixed, thanks to everyone.