You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

v1.9.2 Text Frame Panel

Obviously I had posted this recent topic in the APub Beta forum too late for v.1.9.2.

In addition to its notes, screenshots and video here just one more, now taken in v.1.9.2.
At the end it shows issues with value fields. They don't get activated via click on their label text and the arrow up/down keyboard keys work only 1x but move the selected layout object instead on further arrow key use.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

• 1 month later...

Hi @thomaso Sorry for the delay in replying to your both of these posts.

I have not been able to reproduce this on the latest Publisher Release build 1.9.3. That may be that I have not configured my panels the right way yet though so could you have a quick check to see if you are still seeing this in 1.9.3 as well please?

Yes, unfortunately it's still happening in v1.9.3. – and it seems to occur even more reliable (=always) compared to v192. As soon the TextFrame panel gets activated it clears both the Colours + the Swatches Panel. Sometimes it collapses itself and instead increases color or swatches panels to full height but empty. In the lack of a vertical scroll bar I get access to all Text Frame options only after dragging it from its side bar position ("Right Studio").

I attach my saved panel preset in case you can/want use it: com.seriflabs.Studio.Preset.Data2Layout-tab.210329.preset.zip
(2880 x 1800 Retina, 1 monitor only, not-separated mode)

3 hours ago, thomaso said:

it's still happening in v1.9.3

Yep.
Meanwhile, I've simply developed the habit always to collapse the Text Frame panel before opening another one in my Left Studio, and vice versa.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

• 2 weeks later...

The "click-through" issue has been fixed in 1.9.4.1076 beta since the Text Frame panel finally got scroll bars.

But the issue with value fields losing focus remains. I've also seen that happen in other value fields in other panels, I just don't remember which ones.

On the other hand, some value fields kinda "can't get enough" of having focus, for example in the Pinning panel. The only way to unfocus them is to click on canvas.

In general, value fields across all three apps are behaving very inconsistently. That's definitely what I'd call "bad user experience"…

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

34 minutes ago, SPaceBar said:

Thanks for the panel presets @thomaso I've added them to my Presets folder but they don't seem to be taking effect. I believe that using the entire com.seriflabs.affinitypublisher folder works. If you don't want to post it publicly you could upload it here.

Hi @SPaceBar, I just uploaded a ZIP with the entire folder. (but I first removed in your copy the content of 'autosave' + 'temp' which had together 2,4 GB although the app was closed). According to your mentioned com...-path: Note I am in macOS 14, Mojave & with Affinity purchase, so my path for this folder is:

~/Library/Application Support/Affinity Publisher  – In case you meant/need another file or folder let me know.

Maybe this folder can also help to eventually reproduce the 2-monitor issue in separated mode vs non-separated as recently discussed here?

As loukash just mentioned, with the current beta + the new scroll bar the text panel issue is much less (honestly I haven't experimented a lot yet). Since my panel set was maintained from the previous Beta I noticed directly that the layout within panel sections doesn't fit any more to the panel width (minus scrollbar). So maybe you could nudge little layout adaption for items near the right panel edge, free space appears to be:

1722555120_textframepanel_v1076.jpg.6c54b2230c1aa0d7e05bd7c1ee14a842.jpg < > 1862166528_textframepanel_v193.jpg.0e4f037d59310410cba3b07934bdedbf.jpg