You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Picture Frame and Stroke question

In Affinity Publisher, when I insert a picture in a Picture Frame, then crop one side and then put a stroke around it, the stroke will show on the picture side that I has not been cropped and is hidden on the cropped side of the photo. How do I get the stroke to show around the final cropped photo?

Thanks

How are you doing the cropping?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

It sounds like you could be using Picture Frames incorrectly as cropping is not usually necessary with them.
Watch this short video to see if it answers your needs: https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/tutorials/publisher/desktop/video/337286114/
The basic idea is to create the Picture Frame at the size and position you need, then put the image in the frame, and then re-position/resize the image in the frame as needed. (You can then add your Stroke to the Picture Frame.)

38 minutes ago, andrecampeau said:

So what is the best way to bring in a picture, in a frame or no frame? 

It depends on what you're going to do with it. I don't think there is a "best" in general.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 2 years later...

Sorry but this is not clear at all.

Firstly, Gary P supplied a link to a specific video, but the link takes you to every video in Affinity Publisher Tutorials (V1) and i can't find one about picture frame strokes.

I'm very confused between the functions of a Picture Frame, Curve and Rectangle. Why does there have to be three method of containing a picture?
I dragged an image into my document which when looking at the layers panel is cropped by a rectangle. If I try to stroke that image it strokes the image canvas not the rectangle. If I then open the layers panel and force it to the rectangle, then apply a stroke nothing appears at all.

I've tried the same process on Picture Frame, Curve and Rectangle, but unless the picture canvas is selected no stroke appears. This is totally illogical.

Is there a clear guide to all this anywhere on the support pages please?

Screenshot 2024-02-01 at 10.08.34 pm.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/1/2024 at 11:09 PM, DeanThwaite said:

I dragged an image into my document which when looking at the layers panel is cropped by a rectangle. If I try to stroke that image it strokes the image canvas not the rectangle. If I then open the layers panel and force it to the rectangle, then apply a stroke nothing appears at all.

@DeanThwaite that reactangle is used as an clipping object for the parent image.
Basicly what it does it restricts the visibility of the parent image to the visible bounds of the reactangle shape.
You can change it size to change the visible parts of the image.

If you apply a stroke to this rectangle or other shape used as a clipping object, all you will achieve is that the visible part of the image will increase because the area of the clipping object will increase by the area of the stroke. In simpler words youw will not see an stroke but you will se more of the picture.

Check out this article about clipping → https://affinityspotlight.com/article/understanding-clipping-in-affinity-apps/

In the case of image frames, if you want to limit or enlarge the visible part of the image placed in the frame, you must resize the frame itself without scaling the content by checking the "Lock children" option in the contextual toolbar. You don't use the Crop tool on Image frames.

This will help you learn more about image frames↓

https://affinity.help/publisher2/en-US.lproj/index.html?page=pages/Media/pictureFrames.html&title=Picture frames

Placing Images (Official Affinity Publisher Tutorial)

https://affinityspotlight.com/article/create-stylish-frame-designs-for-your-images-and-text-in-affinity-publisher/

Hope this will clear you some thing for you in the matter of picture frames and clipping pictures to shapes:)