You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

designer file doesn't print correctly.

Hello the most recent build is not printing Files correctly.

The effects of layers seem to not stay clipped when printed. They are perfect on screen, but not while printing.

the first file is the original file and how it should look, the other three are photos of how the the drop shadow is leaking out side the clipped area.

For now i am printing from a JPG to fix it, but i should be able to print from the DESIGNER file without having this happen.

Gary

2020_Chevy_Silverado_2500_Layout_v7a.jpg

20210305_085942.jpg

20210305_085944.jpg

20210305_085947.jpg

Windows 11 Pro, Ryzen 9 7950x, 64GB DDR5 6000mhz, Nvidia 4080 OC 16gb, Dell 38inch curved monitor.

At the top of the Designer Beta on Windows forum you'll find a description of the information that Serif will need to investigate a problem like that.

While it's all important, point 3 may be especially important: Does it happen for a new document? If not do you have a document you can share that shows the problem?

WIth that in mind, I suggest seeing if you can recreate it in a new sample document, and if so you might share some detailed notes on what you did, and upload the sample. And provide the other info that Serif has asked for on that page, of course :)

Also, until 18 minutes ago (you wrote your post 45 minutes ago as I write this), there was no active Designer Beta on Windows, and Serif has previously indicated they would prefer us to be using the retail version in that situation. Now there is a new beta, so you might see if it happens in 1.9.2.997. If it does, all the above will still be needed.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/5/2021 at 10:00 AM, walt.farrell said:

At the top of the Designer Beta on Windows forum you'll find a description of the information that Serif will need to investigate a problem like that.

While it's all important, point 3 may be especially important: Does it happen for a new document? If not do you have a document you can share that shows the problem?

WIth that in mind, I suggest seeing if you can recreate it in a new sample document, and if so you might share some detailed notes on what you did, and upload the sample. And provide the other info that Serif has asked for on that page, of course :)

Also, until 18 minutes ago (you wrote your post 45 minutes ago as I write this), there was no active Designer Beta on Windows, and Serif has previously indicated they would prefer us to be using the retail version in that situation. Now there is a new beta, so you might see if it happens in 1.9.2.997. If it does, all the above will still be needed.

Thank you @walt.farrell

Is there a way to upload so on tech support can access? Don't want others to download the final file as it will break my license for the template for vehicles.

Thank you

Gary

Windows 11 Pro, Ryzen 9 7950x, 64GB DDR5 6000mhz, Nvidia 4080 OC 16gb, Dell 38inch curved monitor.

• Staff
9 hours ago, thegary said:

Thank you @walt.farrell

Is there a way to upload so on tech support can access? Don't want others to download the final file as it will break my license for the template for vehicles.

Thank you

Gary

Hi Gary,

I've created a link to our internal Dropbox that will allow you to upload your file to privately so we can then take a look:
https://www.dropbox.com/request/vo1MZuEpi886EFHstxOC

6 hours ago, Sean P said:

Hi Gary,

I've created a link to our internal Dropbox that will allow you to upload your file to privately so we can then take a look:
https://www.dropbox.com/request/vo1MZuEpi886EFHstxOC

Hello @Sean P

I have uploaded the file for you. Thank you for the link.

Gary

• Staff

Hi Gary,

Thanks for the file. I've reproduced the issue and it is being caused specifically by the logo groups with the Layer Effects on. When this is getting sent to the printer it is being rasterised (due to the Layer Effects), but as the object has a mitre of 25 the actual bounding box is much larger than it actually appears to be. This is something we have logged with development, but that specifically relates to the size when using File > Export, however the same principal applies here. This is causing the content underneath to be stretched all the way to the edge causing the nasty areas you highlight.

In the meantime there are few ways to work around this:
1. Rasterise the logo layer - This will be getting rasterised on print anyway, so this will rasterise to a much smaller bounding box and not cause the issues you were seeing. The downside is that this remains uneditable after rasterising (unless you keep a copy).

2. Rasterise the page on print - The print dialog contains an option underneath 'Rasterization' to 'Rasterize entire page'. This is designed specifically to work around issues occurring at print. In your case as you were able to export a JPG and print that, this should be suitable for you. It also preserves the integrity of the original objects, so they always remain editable.

3. You could expand the stroke on the objects that require such a large amount of Mitre (such as the star) and then use a lower mitre for the other objects. I found this worked after I expanded the stroke on the star and then used a mitre of 3. 

As I said I'll get this passed on to be investigated. 

4 hours ago, Sean P said:

Hi Gary,

Thanks for the file. I've reproduced the issue and it is being caused specifically by the logo groups with the Layer Effects on. When this is getting sent to the printer it is being rasterised (due to the Layer Effects), but as the object has a mitre of 25 the actual bounding box is much larger than it actually appears to be. This is something we have logged with development, but that specifically relates to the size when using File > Export, however the same principal applies here. This is causing the content underneath to be stretched all the way to the edge causing the nasty areas you highlight.

In the meantime there are few ways to work around this:
1. Rasterise the logo layer - This will be getting rasterised on print anyway, so this will rasterise to a much smaller bounding box and not cause the issues you were seeing. The downside is that this remains uneditable after rasterising (unless you keep a copy).

2. Rasterise the page on print - The print dialog contains an option underneath 'Rasterization' to 'Rasterize entire page'. This is designed specifically to work around issues occurring at print. In your case as you were able to export a JPG and print that, this should be suitable for you. It also preserves the integrity of the original objects, so they always remain editable.

3. You could expand the stroke on the objects that require such a large amount of Mitre (such as the star) and then use a lower mitre for the other objects. I found this worked after I expanded the stroke on the star and then used a mitre of 3. 

As I said I'll get this passed on to be investigated. 

Hello @Sean P

Thank you for checking the issue out. Glad you were able to reproduce. I have been exporting to JPG and printing that way meantime, works fine. But its a extra step.

Thank you for the other options to fix meantime, look forward to it being fixed in a later verison.

Gary

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.