You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Proper practice for texturing vector with vector

Hello,

i’m not having any success exporting an all vector project with masking or clipping with another vector using designer 1.9 OSX. SVG and EPS are the goal.

Is there a resource somewhere that explains all the features in designer that trigger a vector layer to be rasterized upon export? I’ve read a few other post about FX and erase, so I’m looking to avoid any headaches in the future. Exporting has been a terrible experience in this software. All my work looks amazing in designer, but it’s stuck there since I always have export issues. 

The first project I’m trying to turn in seems to hate the clipping and masking I have created in a logo. The logo is all vector and is 50ft x 50ft. I know the the clipping layer is the issue, as I get no raster when excluding this layer. I previously had it masked, but read here that clipping vectors can help avoid rasterizing.

Any tips are appreciated. This baby is ready to be deliver, I just can’t cut the cord.

Thanks!

Edited by Wikkiwhite

Sorry was just doing the washing up lol! 

What are you clip masking with, is it possible to show the layers expanded so we get an idea of how the document is built?

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

I’m clipping a vector (Texture) into vector curve. I have a vector logo made of curves and fills, and duplicate the layer and clip and vector into that layer and use that to blend into the original. Everything is vector in the logo.

The exporting result is always rasterized regardless if I use basic blend modes and if i avoid mask erasing. 

Is there a resource somewhere that describes all the vector actions that cause rasterizing while in vector persona?  

I think I have a similar problem, that didn't occur in the previous version. I had a vector image that I partially covered with a coloured rectangle. In Affinity Publisher all looked well, just as in the previous version. In the 1.9.1.979 version the covered part of the vector image results in an ugly rasterized image after exporting to SVG or PDF...

The attached PDF shows what it should be. In the 1.9.1.979 version all vector lines and blocs are rasterized...
I'm now puzzling nearly a whole day. This is very frustrating. Can I have done something wrong...?

Grafiek_Luchtvochtigheid20210301.pdf

Next day I tested the export to SVG option ('for export') and discovered that I have to set several options in the export-menu to prevent any rasterizing, any attempt to create JPG etc., and to choose a very good PDF-printer..., and then only the vector properties stay alive...

Still a bit flabbergasted, that a previous version of Affinity Publisher kept vector properties in tact without any interference from myself...

If your project is not fully supported by SVG or PDF, affinity seems to always rasterize your vector lines along with rastered content. Something that illustrator does not do. I found this same issue in 1.9 as well. 

illustrator can raster only the pixel content while keeping vectors intact while exporting. Something affinity can’t seem to do.

I recreated my project in illustrator (luckily 80% of the pasting worked).I exported a PDF and it looks amazing. No raster issues.

I take that PDF, open it in designer 1.9.1 and it looks amazing as well, but now I can properly export from designer without raster, exploded layers, or other unsupported issues.

I think I may have had designer referencing SVGs as embedded in my designer file for some reason. Would this cause rasterized exports? Or possibly affinity’s SVG and PDF exports aren’t up to par with illustrator? I’m running out of troubleshooting.

anyone from Serif? Hello? Any resources on things that cause rasterizing on export?  Otherwise it’s off to Adobe land. Someone save my subscription soul ha.

The support channels are very slow at Serif. 

1 hour ago, Wikkiwhite said:

The support channels are very slow at Serif. 

Or very busy, maybe @Dan C could shed some light on this.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

• Staff

Hi @Wikkiwhite,

Welcome to the Affinity forums!

As firstdefence has mentioned, we are extremely busy following our 1.9 update and working from home is unfortunately extending our response window to be longer than normal, many thanks for your continued patience and understanding here.

On 2/21/2021 at 11:20 PM, Wikkiwhite said:

Is there a resource somewhere that explains all the features in designer that trigger a vector layer to be rasterized upon export?

Unfortunately I'm not aware of any such resource, my apologies.

On 3/1/2021 at 2:55 AM, Wikkiwhite said:

I’m clipping a vector (Texture) into vector curve. I have a vector logo made of curves and fills, and duplicate the layer and clip and vector into that layer and use that to blend into the original. Everything is vector in the logo.

The exporting result is always rasterized regardless if I use basic blend modes and if i avoid mask erasing. 

Could you please provide a copy of your Affinity document and a screenshot of your export settings, so that we can investigate this further for you? I note that firstdefence has previously requested a screenshot of your layers panel - as this could have helped them to understand your issue, or what is causing this.

18 hours ago, Wikkiwhite said:

illustrator can raster only the pixel content while keeping vectors intact while exporting. Something affinity can’t seem to do.

Provided that the raster and pixel layers/objects are sperate in Affinity (ie not clipped within one another) then Affinity is certainly able to export both vector and pixel content in one file, whilst retaining any vector elements as vector - where possible.

4 hours ago, Wikkiwhite said:

I think I may have had designer referencing SVGs as embedded in my designer file for some reason. Would this cause rasterized exports? Or possibly affinity’s SVG and PDF exports aren’t up to par with illustrator? I’m running out of troubleshooting.

Again, a copy of your Affinity document and export settings will allow us to investigate this further.

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff

Hi @Arnold295,

Welcome to the Affinity forums!

21 hours ago, Arnold295 said:

Next day I tested the export to SVG option ('for export') and discovered that I have to set several options in the export-menu to prevent any rasterizing, any attempt to create JPG etc., and to choose a very good PDF-printer..., and then only the vector properties stay alive...

Still a bit flabbergasted, that a previous version of Affinity Publisher kept vector properties in tact without any interference from myself...

Thanks for the information and update provided - as above the best way for us to investigate this is with a copy of your Affinity document, and a screenshot of your export settings (including the More... options dialog).

Please upload a copy of these here and we can look into this further for you.

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• 7 months later...
On 3/3/2021 at 11:12 AM, Dan C said:
On 2/22/2021 at 12:20 AM, Wikkiwhite said:

Is there a resource somewhere that explains all the features in designer that trigger a vector layer to be rasterized upon export?

Unfortunately I'm not aware of any such resource, my apologies.

That is very unfortunate. Could any of the forum members step in and provide some does and don'ts ?

Below my assumptions (please correct / add):

Safe

• use vector shapes
  • use gradients
  • use fill and stroke (except bitmap)
  • Layers
  • Groups
  • Curve geometric operations
  • Some layer FX (fill, shadow)
  •  

Unsafe

• vector brushes
  • Everything from Photo Persona
  • all pixel
  • pixel masks
  • Fill with bitmap
  • Filters (from Photo)

Unsure

• adjustments ?
  • Some Layer FX e.g. blur?
  • Blend ranges?

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

• 1 month later...

Designers approximation seems to be lacking, and without any warning from the software you can get yourself in a lot of trouble with pixelation if you don’t play it very safe with your designs. Had to move to Adobe for the technical exports, as designer always had issues/bugs with my exports. Still great potential.