You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Export and cropping questions - AD

I have some objects in Designer that overlap my document on transparent BG. My goal is to just export these Elements with the parts that remain on the document (PNG). Now going to export and choose to export selected elements without background leads to a PNG that includes areas that are not part of the actual document any more (Basically the surrounding rectangle of all elements even when they are outside the document). Is there a way to set this up the way I would like it - only getting those parts exported that are on the document?

Of course I can trim (crop) all objects but I'd like to keep their complete shape for later changes.

And another thing that kind of leaves me disturbed: when I select all (!) elements and click on "Rasterise and Trim" only the first element gets resterised an trimmed ... so it looks like I have to manuall go through all objects and do the trimming seperately for each one ... what am I doing wrong?

Cheers, Timo

Designer_OSLzeEA8y2.jpg.394a7f37678534e7c66e2dadf83608f1.jpg

CRM.png.a048d588572393102ac3cc403bfa8af7.png

i7-12700KF, 3.60 GHz, 32GB RAM, SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070, Wacom Intuos 4 Tablet, Windows 11 Pro - AP, AD and APublisher V1 and V2
https://www.timobierbaum.com

Are you using the export persona? I have no problem exporting all of them as either a Slice or the whole Artboard as just the corner and not the whole group.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Ah, I bet you have grouped them and then made a slice from that. I just exported after adjusting the size of the slice.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

If I create a square and a group of circles, using the square to mask the group gives me the result shown in the OP (because I’m exporting the circles with a mask that can be removed). If I clip the group to the square I lose the unwanted parts of the circles, because instead of exporting the circles themselves I’m exporting the area bounded by the square.805626473_Timos-transparent-circles.png.f7a60edd614ba799354ed5920a975ccc.png

Timo's-transparent-circles.afdesign

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

it's probably its own slice.

image.png.27a698c4aaa3cd04aaa4b240e705a035.png

can't be certain though so perhaps show us the slices dialog from your export persona.

And to your rasterizing question:
To rasterize multiple objects, throw them all in a group and rasterize the group. that'll rasterize it all into one single pixel layer. If you all want them rasterized separately then it's gonna be manual labor.

• Windows 10 Pro
  • Intel Core i7-4770 3.40Ghz
  • 16 GB RAM
  • Nvidia Geforce GTX 980
  • Samsung EVO 850 SSD

8 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

Are you using the export persona? I have no problem exporting all of them as either a Slice or the whole Artboard as just the corner and not the whole group.

Nope ... even after 4(?) years I did not get the sense of adding a complete additional section just for "export features" ... certainly since this section doesn't meet any requirements for an easy "Export"

I'm aware there are "Slices" in the "Export" Section - but this "Idea" seems to be driven by some people who financed the whole program I guess ... ;-) ... for the majority of ordinary user (I presume) this most likely is not an "workflow improving addition" ... but hey, it's there an not disturbing anyone ... and in this case it even seems to be offering a feature that could be useful for me (a checkbox in the export panel would have done as well .. ) .. I'll check again ... mayby one day  I'll grasp the "Exort Panel Concept" ...

i7-12700KF, 3.60 GHz, 32GB RAM, SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070, Wacom Intuos 4 Tablet, Windows 11 Pro - AP, AD and APublisher V1 and V2

8 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

Ah, I bet you have grouped them and then made a slice from that. I just exported after adjusting the size of the slice.

Nope ... playing around a bit I realised that it's not enough to just select 12 layers to rasterise and crop them (This  obvious and logical way is not implemented - Affinity is not really into workflow) you have to group all layers first and than "Rasterise and Crop" works ...  *bangingmyhead*