You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

My second question is a little one... I'm finally mastering the vector pen after transitioning from the Drawplus one (which was so different!) For me it's easiest to click at each point to erase the handles, then go onto the next.... but when I come to the end and click back on the first point to join the two ends it always changes the angle of the last line drawn.  How should I be finishing that off so that it doesn't move the line?

On 1/28/2021 at 3:36 PM, Caroline L said:

My second question is a little one... I'm finally mastering the vector pen after transitioning from the Drawplus one (which was so different!) For me it's easiest to click at each point to erase the handles, then go onto the next.... but when I come to the end and click back on the first point to join the two ends it always changes the angle of the last line drawn.  How should I be finishing that off so that it doesn't move the line?

Click once more on the last anchor point you dropped

On 1/28/2021 at 8:36 AM, Caroline L said:

For me it's easiest to click at each point to erase the handles, then go onto the next....

When you say the above are you meaning you are only placing nodes (points) with the pen, so they don't have handles?  Or are you going back and erasing the handles after they are being drawn?  I'm unclear what process you are taking.  None that I can think of should cause only the last line to be changed.  I normally only place a node then go back and add handles by one of several means if they are necessary.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

17 minutes ago, Gear maker said:

When you say the above are you meaning you are only placing nodes (points) with the pen, so they don't have handles?  Or are you going back and erasing the handles after they are being drawn?  I'm unclear what process you are taking.  None that I can think of should cause only the last line to be changed.  I normally only place a node then go back and add handles by one of several means if they are necessary.

I've just done it now to have it fresh in my mind.  After the first point, the next one I click and drag to get the right shape and then click it again to remove the handle ready for the next move.

When I get to the end I do the same, click back on the first point and drag to shape, but when I click back on the node to finish it off, it changes the line.

I can obviously not do that last click, but then where do I click to close things off? (thank you for your time)

6 minutes ago, Caroline L said:

When I get to the end I do the same, click back on the first point and drag to shape, but when I click back on the node to finish it off, it changes the line.

Okay, I think I understand.  When you click back on the first node to complete the object.  Don't do a drag.  Just click to close it.  The two handles are "balanced" so changing the input side of the last node will affect the output handle of the first node.  If you must change the one side without disturbing the other side then hold down the opt (alt) key when placing it and that will disconnect the two handles.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

15 minutes ago, Caroline L said:

I've just done it now to have it fresh in my mind.  After the first point, the next one I click and drag to get the right shape and then click it again to remove the handle ready for the next move.

I can obviously not do that last click, but then where do I click to close things off? (thank you for your time)

Did this on the iPad, but works the same on desktop... if it’s what you’re trying to achieve. See vid below

11 minutes ago, BarKeegan said:

Did this on the iPad, but works the same on desktop... if it’s what you’re trying to achieve. See vid below

FullSizeRender.mov

Where is your very last click after you've joined the two ends, before you move onto your next thing to draw? (the video doesn't show the clicks).  I know it might sound silly but I find myself clicking all over the place, usually ending up having to click away from my drawing then click back on the pointer tool in the toolbar - it all feels really clumsy with too many clicks, there has to be something I'm missing :)

13 minutes ago, Caroline L said:

Where is your very last click after you've joined the two ends, before you move onto your next thing to draw? (the video doesn't show the clicks).  I know it might sound silly but I find myself clicking all over the place, usually ending up having to click away from my drawing then click back on the pointer tool in the toolbar - it all feels really clumsy with too many clicks, there has to be something I'm missing :)

This vid shows the clicks