You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Reveal outside document bounds

When I work in Illustrator, I like to make copies of complex shapes and objects and put them outside of the document bounds in case I ever need them down the line. Is there a way in AD to reveal the dark outside area of the document? I know I can put shapes and object out of view but I wouldn't know they're there unless I highlight them to show their outlines ( FYI Outline View Mode doesn't reveal outside the document).

It's called pasteboard in Illustrator, other applications give it different names (in Corel Draw it's called "desktop", other call it "background", "drawing board" or "work area").

Something to think about when working with multiple page is, if the pasteboard (let's just call it this for now) is around every single page or if all pages share one pasteboard. I would prefer the latter since it helps moving stuff from one page to another.

Something to think about when working with multiple page is, if the pasteboard (let's just call it this for now) is around every single page or if all pages share one pasteboard. I would prefer the latter since it helps moving stuff from one page to another.

This looks pretty interesting, as we could very easily that way "move" or copy elements from one tab to the others (well really the elements would not be moved, they would stay on the same background, it would be the canvas what changes). (something like the film Dune and the travels in time :D)

This function looks very powerful and easy to understand, logical, as it's what we do with the trays (canvas) on the kitchen's table (background). It looks to me the natural way of behaving with different canvasses. (I don't remember now if Corel Draw had such a thing...)

but... (just questions to solve, because I love this idea)

A - What if the canvasses of the files/tabs are different in size? (an element out but near of a canvas could be into the limits of another bigger canvas' file)

B - What if an element it's partially inside a canvas? (would it be shared to the others?) (In my opinion: No, it shouldn't be shared as it belongs to that canvas where it's partially shown)

C - Should it be this behaviour universal or could we specify which tabs share the same background and which not? (my opinion: Should be universal as I think it's easier to manage without futher settings and probably to program it)

• 7 months later...