You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Screen flicker in Affinity Designer

Mykro

For myself it helped changing one screen to 60hz and use affinity designer just there. But this should not be the deal as i use my two screens with AMD Eyefinity for gaming on 144hz aswell. I don‘t want to change the refresh rate every time i use Affinity Designer, as i use Designer allot this is a disturbing issue. Please fix this 😉

Best regards

HumAnCK

• 3 weeks later...

I also have the flickering issue.

1440p 144hz monitor using the latest Nvidia drivers.

Apparently, Unreal Engine is also affected (several people in their Discord have acknowledged it).

I hope Nvidia are aware of this, but there has been two driver releases with this problem in now already.

I have used following keys for solving my issue. I guess it is restarting the graphics driver. This is what i read. I don‘t need to switch between 144hz and 60hz anymore. If you want to try it on your own use this , the screen will turn black for a moment so don‘t be schocked or get in panic 😉  Ctrl+ Shift+ Win+ pressed B

Edited by HumAnCK
Missspell

Please note, I'm not a heavy user of the Affinity software, so this is for personal use rather than professional but not sure if this will help anyone?...

I've literally today got the Dell Alienware 34" ultrawide screen (with Nvidia G-Sync) and used Designer today and noticed the flickering, and it brought me here when searching the issue.

I was on the Nvidia drivers 471.41, and tried everything turning the refresh down to 60Hz however this didn't help and various settings on the monitor itself and Nvidia Control Panel, to no avail.

What I have found though I've just updated to 471.68 because I just noticed it needed updating to these latest drivers and so far so good - also this is at 120Hz (and tried with 60Hz also) and G-Sync turned on.  I'm now able to flick from one tool to another and move the mouse onto the document area without the flickering which was very noticeable and distracting!  Also this worked straight away without even having to close Designer.

Hope this helps?  I know, things like this aren't always helpful to everyone else as peoples setups for a Windows machine can be so different with so many different combinations of hardware.

Screenshot 2021-08-19 235910.png

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

None of the solutions that have been proposed so far really solve the issue. I would really prefer not to have to either:

• Switch the refresh rate on my screen to 60Hz
  • Turn off G-sync on my screen
  • Switch between Game Ready Driver and Studio Driver whenever I want to work in an Affinity application

For completeness' sake, I'm using a Samsung 27" G7 Odyssey (LC27G75TQSNXZA) screen on an Nvidia RTX 3070.

• 4 months later...

Hello, i have this issue, i would recommend to affinity devs to limit the FPS or allow the user to set the FPS, i can fix this issue editing the next settings:

Windows side (graphics preference):

1. Disabling auto HDR to the app.
  2. Settings Power Saving mode for the app.
  3. Disabling Game optimization for the App.

Nvidia Control (Manage 3D settings):

1. Background Application Max Frame Rate: 30/60
  2. Max Frame Rate: 60
  3. Monitor Technology: Fixed Refresh
  4. Preference Refresh Rate (Monitor Name): Application Controlled
  5. Vertical Sync: Adaptative (Half Refresh Rate)

8 hours ago, keiichi77 said:

Turning off G-sync on my screen does nothing

I am using Studio Driver, it doesn't affect flickering.

I won't change my screen to 60Hz, because I've bought 165 Hz monitor to ease my eyestrain. As I also won't switch to paper and ink.

Follow my last post.

• 2 months later...

Hello everybody,

it's December 2022 and the problem persists. For me turning off G-Sync is working. Reducing the frame rate, on the other hand, does not.

My setup:

• Affinity Photo 2.0.0
  • Windows 10 Pro 22H2  64-Bit
  • Windows settings: Windows HD Color --> Use HDR is disabled (but switching HDR does not seem to make a difference)
  • Dell Alienware AW3432DW (3440x1440) running at 120 Hz (G-SYNC Ultimate) (via DP) (one monitor setup)
  • nVidia RTX 2080
  • Studio driver 527.56

I do not know whether the display resolution makes any difference. But some users running a 1440p display seem to work around the problem by reducing the frame rate to 60 Hz. Fore me this did not work and I had to turn off G-SYNC, which may be because my monitor has a slightly higher width than a standard 1440p display. But that is just a guess.

Enabling G-SYNC for full-screen applications only, instead of window mode and full-screen application does not work for me, too.

As one user already mentioned I would rather not turn off G-SYNC or reduce the frame rate since I paid for these two features. But, still on one hand I do not know wether Affinity Photo or Windows or the driver is causing the issue. On the other hand the only application I am having issues with is Affinity Photo. I would be glad to help sorting out causes. If Serif needs more input they may text me.

6 minutes ago, _Nox_ said:

Hello everybody,

it's December 2022 and the problem persists. For me turning off G-Sync is working. Reducing the frame rate, on the other hand, does not.

My setup:

• Affinity Photo 2.0.0
  • Windows 10 Pro 22H2  64-Bit
  • Windows settings: Windows HD Color --> Use HDR is disabled (but switching HDR does not seem to make a difference)
  • Dell Alienware AW3432DW (3440x1440) running at 120 Hz (G-SYNC Ultimate) (via DP) (one monitor setup)
  • nVidia RTX 2080
  • Studio driver 527.56

I do not know whether the display resolution makes any difference. But some users running a 1440p display seem to work around the problem by reducing the frame rate to 60 Hz. Fore me this did not work and I had to turn off G-SYNC, which may be because my monitor has a slightly higher width than a standard 1440p display. But that is just a guess.

Enabling G-SYNC for full-screen applications only, instead of window mode and full-screen application does not work for me, too.

As one user already mentioned I would rather not turn off G-SYNC or reduce the frame rate since I paid for these two features. But, still on one hand I do not know wether Affinity Photo or Windows or the driver is causing the issue. On the other hand the only application I am having issues with is Affinity Photo. I would be glad to help sorting out causes. If Serif needs more input they may text me.

Yeah, frankly I regret giving this company my money now. No way will I pay to upgrade to v2 given the awful support (I mean this thread is almost 2 years old and no response from Serif... yeah.. good luck selling v2 devs)

Edited by JimDiGritz