You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Inconsistent writing of labels / legends / captions

When you look at dialogue boxes or labels in the applications they are not written consistently regarding uppercase and lowercase. E.g. take the Layer menu of APu. There is the entry of "Convert to Curves", a bit lower it reads "Float With Text". Or the print dialogue saying "Bleeds and Marks" and "Print To File".

Yes, I am a nit-picker. :D

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

It’s often nice to have consistency in a UI, but I wonder how this would translate into languages other then English.
In other words, I think it sounds like a good idea for the English UI but I don’t know if it would fit well for all other UI languages supplied with the Affinity applications.
I don’t read/write/speak any languages other than English so I don’t have any insight into this, but I thought I’d mention it.

In other languages too, you have people to write text and others that read again and correct to avoid typos, get the correct punctuation and capitalize the right words, etc. They can also correct sentences poorly written, keep consistency along... It's a more technical approach, form instead of content.

2 hours ago, GarryP said:

It’s often nice to have consistency in a UI, but I wonder how this would translate into languages other then English.
In other words, I think it sounds like a good idea for the English UI but I don’t know if it would fit well for all other UI languages supplied with the Affinity applications.
I don’t read/write/speak any languages other than English so I don’t have any insight into this, but I thought I’d mention it.

The other languages each should follow a consistent approach given their own language, but consistency is key. Generally, fixing these issues in the English strings should have nothing to do with the other languages, although, depending on how the localisation environment is done, it could mean that all of the other languages would have some work to do at repeating their existing translations. I only have experience at web localization, but I know that in some implementations a simple comma addition in the original (English) string means that the software sees a "new" string for all of the other languages to translate. But that is still fairly minor, and fixing a particular translation in this way should not even need to take other languages into consideration.