You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

What is the best way to create complex shapes without undesired lines inside?

Hello everyone,

I have added a picture of my issue. This is a single shape and the rectangles are the empty parts inside it. I would like to remove the lines connecting the rectangles, but breaking the points of the nodes throws everything off. Am I doing something wrong with the boolean operations? 

Capture.PNG

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, @marteidu. :)

How did you construct that shape? It isn’t immediately obvious from your screenshot.

If you create separate rectangles and Boolean ‘Add’ them you’ll end up with a ‘Curves’ object that doesn’t have a line joining the component shapes.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Thank you Alfred and v_kyr. Yes, this was what I was intending to do. I was wondering whether there was a way to fix those lines without redoing everything. I'll redo the project I'm currently working on as I've constructed it by creating multiple overlapping rectangles and adding them together.

3 minutes ago, marteidu said:

I was wondering whether there was a way to fix those lines without redoing everything.

You said in your original post that breaking the curve at those top nodes “throws everything off”. Can you tell us more about that and/or share a sample file for us to play with?

Alfred spacer.png

14 hours ago, Alfred said:

You said in your original post that breaking the curve at those top nodes “throws everything off”. Can you tell us more about that and/or share a sample file for us to play with?

Sure, I've attached the logo I'm working on. 

When I break the nodes and delete them, it creates weird shapes that are connected to other nodes.

TM.afdesign

I'm trying to redo it now and am running into the same problem again. How can I join shapes like these? I've seen in forums that the "add" operation should be used, but I always end up with that line in the middle and can't find a way to remove it. 

Capture.PNG

Create two or more non-overlapping rectangles, select them and click on the ‘Add’ icon in the Geometry section of the Toolbar to create a ‘Curves’ object/layer. Or simply use the ‘Merge Curves’ command as @haakoo has suggested.

Alfred spacer.png

You can also fix the existing TM drawing nodes accordingly, via open curves on selected nodes inbetween, deleting the line segments and afterwards performing a geometric add of the remaining rest.

nodes_open_curves.jpg.25137f1bfcf45fb2fe462261783de7ff.jpg

nodes_open_curves2.jpg.b069b3aacf4b073dc26d0c4b40b356fe.jpg

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

58 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

You can also fix the existing TM drawing nodes accordingly, via open curves on selected nodes inbetween, deleting the line segments and afterwards performing a geometric add of the remaining rest.

That works, of course, but it’s quite laborious! It’s probably quicker and easier to snap a wide rectangle to the top of the existing rectangles, extend the rectangles ‘Curve’ object to overlap with the new rectangle, and then Boolean subtract to leave a ‘Curves’ object consisting of the original rectangles without the joining lines.

Alfred spacer.png

2 hours ago, haakoo said:

segment cutter

Never heard of this ??? more info? do you mean the segment tool?

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.4.3 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.3, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.4.0 Betas 2.5.0(2430)

www.bingercreative.co.uk

48 minutes ago, Dazmondo77 said:

Never heard of this ??? more info? do you mean the segment tool?

Boy am I thick or what - I have a previous post on this 

On 12/1/2020 at 4:09 PM, Dazmondo77 said:

Hey MattP I think you forgot to mention anything in the added features list about the 'segment cutter' spotted by haakoo - this is a great feature (Ctrl+Click path, deletes that part of the path between two nodes) Bye Bye break curve hello delete segment 👍

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.4.3 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.3, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

www.bingercreative.co.uk

1 minute ago, Dazmondo77 said:

Boy am I thick or what - I have a previous post on this 

I apologise to  haakoo as I'll prob be asking "Never heard of this" in all future mentions of Segment Cutter - 🤨

Daz1.png

www.bingercreative.co.uk