You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Divide blend mode does not work correctly in CMYK

2 minutes ago, postmadesign said:

[The Divide blend mode] should do the exact opposite of multiply

Divide blend mode should drastically lighten the image but the blend mode that does the exact opposite of Multiply is Screen.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

49 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Divide blend mode should drastically lighten the image but the blend mode that does the exact opposite of Multiply is Screen.

I must have things messed up. I once saw a video on YT (have tried to find it, unsuccesfully) where a blending mode was shown doing the opposite of multiply. This would allow me to have one color, FI the blue on the top image, and mix it with a darker color I wanted to have, and the result of the blending was a lighter color. When I overlaid a blue shape with another shape in the lighter color and set it to multiply, the result would be the darker color. I hope this makes sense?

I work a lot with overlapping color shapes in multiply mode for my illustration, so being able to define colors in this way would be useful.

• Staff

Hi postmadesign,

I believe the difference is that that CMYK is a subtractive colour model (subtracting colours gives you white) where as RGB is an additive model (adding colour gives you white). This means that the results the blend mode's maths will output won't necessarily give you the results you see in RGB.Taking your examples (using true black in CMYK) with the blue circle at the bottom and the black at the top I get the exact same results as Photoshop does.

I've tried doing this in Photoshop and Affinity and I get the same results. See attached images.

However I your RGB results are very different to mine in both Photoshop and Designer. Feel free to attach your file and I will double check however.
image.png

AffinityRGB.afdesign AffinityCMYK.afdesign PhotoshopDivideCMYK.psd PhotoshopDivideRGB.psd

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.