You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

File management

Hello,

The storage situation of affinity photo is very complicated, though I’m sure in part due to the nature of the ipad.

As I understand you can save a project from the file screen in Affinity, which will then save the image to your designated place (set up in AF settings on the same screen. Either the ‘on my iPad’ Affinity container or in an Affinity folder on iCloud - both accessible from the files app.

My confusion lies with the initial import into the app. They sit there in the app on the opening screen, and you can manage them and save (as described above) or delete. However, are they findable and manageable outside of the main app in the files app?

This leads me to my second bit of confusion. In the settings app on the iPad, Affinity is carrying over 6gb of data. When I look at it, it’s loads of random images from months ago, which i assumed had been deleted. It also doesn’t seem to contain any of the current projects I have sitting in Affinity, although I cant be to sure of that until I get a bit of time to sort through it all. From this settings screen, it only seems possible to delete one at a time, which is ridiculous for so many. 

Can someone try to explain to me how all this stuff relates to each other please?

THANKS!

• Staff
17 hours ago, MilesMcclane said:

My confusion lies with the initial import into the app. They sit there in the app on the opening screen, and you can manage them and save (as described above) or delete. However, are they findable and manageable outside of the main app in the files app?

Unless you've used the Save option, to save them outside of the app, then they are stored inside the app.  Closing them (after you've saved them) should remove them from this 'storage' and cut down on the 6GB of data thats being used.  This does need to be done one by one.

I know the Dev team do plan on working on File Management for the iPad app so we should see this improve over time :) 

42 minutes ago, stokerg said:

Unless you've used the Save option, to save them outside of the app, then they are stored inside the app.  Closing them (after you've saved them) should remove them from this 'storage' and cut down on the 6GB of data thats being used.  This does need to be done one by one.

I know the Dev team do plan on working on File Management for the iPad app so we should see this improve over time :) 

Thanks for your answer.I’m very much looking forwards to a better option for managing storage! I hope it will be a direct files.app integration such as pixelmator and such like. It’s just a bit confusing the way it currently is, and its very easy to lose work if you’re not paying attention, like me 90% of the time!  

Part of my question though was this 6gb of projects are already closed and aren’t visible from the app at all, just in the iPad storage section under settings, in the AP section. 

• 1 year later...

Improvements to this would be most lovely! Any news to share?

Meanwhile, even just some suggested workflows/guides from others on how they sync work between iPad & Desktop apps would be helpful. @stokerg's explanation above helps a lot and confirms how I _thought_ it worked, but I'm finding myself often confused what versions of my files have been fully synced to Files App/iCloud/Dropbox and can be safely closed in the app, which work I only have in the iPad app's local storage, and which work I have in On My iPad but not any cloud sync services.

On 11/29/2021 at 7:14 PM, unitof said:

Improvements to this would be most lovely! Any news to share?

Meanwhile, even just some suggested workflows/guides from others on how they sync work between iPad & Desktop apps would be helpful. @stokerg's explanation above helps a lot and confirms how I _thought_ it worked, but I'm finding myself often confused what versions of my files have been fully synced to Files App/iCloud/Dropbox and can be safely closed in the app, which work I only have in the iPad app's local storage, and which work I have in On My iPad but not any cloud sync services.

You really should change to use iCloud to store your work so that is easily accessible on your desktop.

There is no sync across iPad and Desktop apps, create a folder structure in iCloud and save your work there. You can then open your work on the other device from that location. Just remember to close your work after saving before opening on the other device. This is true irrespective of whether you are going Desktop to iPad or iPad to Desktop.  Projects on your Affinity home screen are like tabs open on the desktop version. Make sure to close otherwise you will be working on 2 different versions of your project.

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help