You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I am trying to understand why snapping performance can be perfect and a breeze to line things up, then I go to another set of objects that need to line up relative to one another and then snapping totally bonks out and does not perform well at all. Are there special clicking patterns I need to do, meaning click one before the other to align to it. Just seems I always need to play with tolerance, which by the way how does it affect snapping, I may be doing it wrong. I should add that my objects are usually groups of several other objects, sometimes near 100.

Am I missing something here? Should there be a visible way that tells me when I have lined up the centre's of two objects without having to always use guides? e.g. concentric circles.

If voting made any difference it wouldn't be allowed!

Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools.

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Truth does not need to be protected only lies do.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

• Staff

When you begin drag operation, the bounding box of your objects is calculated. A group of 100 objects will take longer to calculate than a single object - it's just a matter of scale. Currently, you cannot make a snapping candidate of a group, but the object that you are dragging can be a group.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

Hi MEB,

Thanks for the video but I had been using that method but found that it was very sensitive as though the snapping resolution was high. However I deselected 'Snap to shape key points' and 'Snap to object geometry'. This seemed to make it a little less sensitive or am I just imagining it?

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

• Staff

What do you mean by sensitive? Does it pick the centre too quickly? You can control that trough the Screen Tolerance on the top right of the Snapping Manager dialog. A lower value means you have to place the cursor closely to the snapping point for it to become active (snap to it). A larger value means it will snap even when the cursor is still far from the snapping point. The value you specify set the radius (in pixels) of influence of the snapping point.

Hi MEB,

What I meant by sensitivity was when I move the object to the snapping position the red and green lines flash on and off too easily and it needs a very steady mouse movement to get them visible together.

However I checked the snapping tolerance and it was set at 1! I have changed it to 10. This is much better. Is there a recommended default tolerance?

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

• Staff

I use a value between 8 and 15.  Depends on what I'm doing.  Higher resolution displays might require a larger number, just because the real world snapping tolerance will be much smaller.

The tolerance is the number of screen pixels within which a snap can occur.  But, after that, the snap will be made to the closest object(s) that are within the snapping tolerance range.  It may be that if you have two candidates close together, snapping will fight between them.  This is to be expected, as snapping will consider all candidates equally.

I experimented with priority systems for different object types, but it just did not work.  I hope we've taken the most logical approach.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

Thanks MEB and Ben. This all makes sense so I have reset to 8.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0