You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Turn-off Vertical text

Somehow I have managed to turn on a feature that makes the text within text boxes to be written in a vertical format only. How do I turn this feature off and return the text to 'normal'.

I have no knowledge of turning on vertical text in the first place. Learning!

Many thanks in advance

Jen

17 minutes ago, Casio said:

Somehow I have managed to turn on a feature that makes the text within text boxes to be written in a vertical format only. How do I turn this feature off and return the text to 'normal'.

I have no knowledge of turning on vertical text in the first place. Learning!

Hello @Casio,

actually true vertical text (as in some asian languages) does not exist in any of the Affinity apps. It sounds more like you might have accidentially narrowed your text frame so close that it is only one letter wide.

It would help if you provided some information: in what program do you experience this? Can you perhaps post a screenshot? Or perhaps upload the file to look at (if it does not contain any confident or private data).

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

Thank you Dominik. I understand this might not be 'true' vertical text.  When I make a text box  (which appears about 5cm wide with no column formatting or anything else) in Publisher and begin typing words, then each letter immediately sits below the previous one.  I have no idea what feature(s) I've changed in this file to make it do this.  I am still learning what 'options' in affinity do what. I will try my best to get you more information.

Jen

If you look at Text Frame/Columns/Width it will probably show zero. Change it to a larger value and it should work as expected. The fact that the frame is displaying as a non-zero width looks like a bug. On the other hand if you do want vertical text (any alignment) then you can just make the frame zero.

Windows 10 Pro, I5 3.3G PC 16G RAM

More info on this. If I set the Text Frame/Columns/Width to zero or negative then drawing a frame of any width gives a zero width frame even though the frame looks like the drawn value. If I set the Text Frame/Columns/Width to a positive value then drawing a text frame puts the correct value in the box.

Windows 10 Pro, I5 3.3G PC 16G RAM

There be a few bugs with zero column widths, see this thread, from this post onwards...

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Yes! The column width was set to zero and changing making it a larger quantity made a change.

Obviously, somehow I altered it unknowingly!

Which begs the question, is there a (dare I say 'normal') value that the width should remain at, or will it self regulate from now on because it is +0?

Thank you all so much for the help

I am a beginner, but welcoming the new knowledge.

Jen