You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Saving and exporting files.

Is there any particular reason why "save as" allows to safe only as an afphoto file and saving as anything else requires exporting? Wouldn't it be more convenient to have all file options under "save as"?

Also, it would ne nice to have a save for Web" option that strips all metadata. As it stands now, I have to run every JPG file that was created with Affinity Photo through Smallimage if I want to strip the metadata.

• Staff

Hi Lamont,

The reason Export and Save As are kept separate is because Save As is designed for work that still needs further changes to be made to it. Save As saving as a .Afphoto file retains all the layers in an editable format so any work can be picked up from where it was left off. However if I exported to a Jpeg for example I would lose all of my layers and be left with a flat image which would be useless if I then wanted to change a layer or edit some text I wrote onto the image. It is best to keep these two options apart as it prevents loss of work. If you use the Export Persona to export your image it will be stripped of all Meta Data making it suitable for the web.

I hope this helps :)

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Thanks for the reply.

I don't find having all save options in one place risky. "Save" saves as the same file type, so you won't go from a layered afphoto to flat jpg accidentally. The people using this type software know the difference between "save" and "save as", even if Apple has at some point decdied to take "save as" away from us. 

So Export Persona results in a different save option than does exporting from Phoot Persona, and it is exclusively used for exporting to JPG for Web? What quality setting equivalent is this option using? I don't see a quality slider or presets (low, medium, high, etc).

When exporting an afphoto file to PSD, why do I need to choose a compression algorithm? I thought PSD uses lossless compression, but now I need to choose a compression algorithm. Which raises another question: Why does the program not remember the last compression setting that was used, or why isn't there a preference option? If I work on a dozen images, I do not want to have to set the same setting each time. The same thing goes for the USM, where I also use usally the same radius and amount when working on images of the same size.

I guess I may be the only one annoyed by this, but when I open a file in Affinity, and when I "save as" afphoto, the old extension is maintained, So I get a file name like P12345.JPG.afphoto. Why is the original file's extension kept? I'd much prefer if the new file were simply named P12345.afphoto. As it is I have to each time remove the previous file extension.

It is best to keep these two options apart as it prevents loss of work. If you use the Export Persona to export your image it will be stripped of all Meta Data making it suitable for the web.

I hope this helps :)

C

I don't understand exactly what this means. If I work on a file with layers and text, etc. and want to send a flattened jpeg to a client are you saying that exporting that file through Export Persona will flatten my original file leaving me with only the jpeg?!? Shouldn't it be creating a jpeg file from my original and leave the original .afphoto file unaltered? Why is there a risk of losing work? Am I misunderstanding something?

jmac, exporting via the Export Persona does flatten the exported image only.

I was wrong when I previously complained about not being able to adjust image compression in the Export Persona. The feature is actually there under Export Options. I simply had overlooked it.

I still want to know why when exporting an afphoto file to PSD, I need to choose a compression algorithm? Or is this still lossless compression, regardless which algorithm I choose?

I don't understand exactly what this means. If I work on a file with layers and text, etc. and want to send a flattened jpeg to a client are you saying that exporting that file through Export Persona will flatten my original file leaving me with only the jpeg?!? Shouldn't it be creating a jpeg file from my original and leave the original .afphoto file unaltered? Why is there a risk of losing work? Am I misunderstanding something?

The Export persona will not touch your original .afphoto file. It will create a flattened jpeg in a new file with a .jpg extension. There's no risk of losing work.

• 3 years later...
On 8/28/2015 at 5:51 PM, Lamont said:

I guess I may be the only one annoyed by this, but when I open a file in Affinity, and when I "save as" afphoto, the old extension is maintained, So I get a file name like P12345.JPG.afphoto. Why is the original file's extension kept? I'd much prefer if the new file were simply named P12345.afphoto. As it is I have to each time remove the previous file extension.

You're definitely not the only one annoyed by this.  I find it wayyy more annoying than even this 3.5 year necro.  

Affinity,  you're amazing,  but do you really need to be this un-intuitive?