Publisher: Accented characters export oddly as PDF

It looks as though the acute accent is being added separately to the E (and incorrectly positioned on top of it) instead of an É glyph being used.

What font is it? Do you get the same result with other fonts?

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher for Windows 1.9.2 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.9.2 • Designer for iPad 1.9.2 • iPadOS 14.4.2 (iPad Air 2)

17 minutes ago, big smile said:

The font is Rubik from Google fonts: https://fonts.google.com/specimen/Rubik

As I suspected, there’s no É glyph: there’s only E and Ë. The font seems to be squarely aimed at users of Eastern European, Cyrillic, and Hebrew alphabets.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher for Windows 1.9.2 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.9.2 • Designer for iPad 1.9.2 • iPadOS 14.4.2 (iPad Air 2)

2 minutes ago, Alfred said:

As I suspected, there’s no É glyph: there’s only E and Ë. The font seems to be squarely aimed at users of Eastern European, Cyrillic, and Hebrew alphabets.

So I guess I'll have to pick another font. Odd that it displays correct in Publisher but only comes out wrong when exported into a PDF (and only from a Publisher export, as it exports fine from Affinity Photo). 

Interestingly, if the font is set at a lower font size then it will export correctly from Publisher:

691006139_ScreenShot2020-10-01at11_55_13.jpg.1e80717e9352460ce31c70b3ff5084ce.jpg

^ This is set at 22pt and exports correctly (The screen shot is from the PDF export)

1283368185_ScreenShot2020-10-01at11_56_43.jpg.50fe9d2776934ba39c9897fd10408e25.jpg

^ This is set at 30pt and it is borked!

5 minutes ago, big smile said:

Interestingly, if the font is set at a lower font size then it will export correctly from Publisher

That is indeed interesting! :o

Alfred online2long.gif

I don’t think the font is the issue, because if I replace those lines with Helvetica, but keep the font size the same, the issue remains:

2103309659_ScreenShot2020-10-01at12_12_53.jpg.b61de517e2c7f9823a324bcd5291daef.jpg

Interestingly, with Helvetica, the issue occurs both in the Affinity Publisher document and the PDF (whereas with Rubik font it is correct in the Affinity Publisher document but incorrect in the PDF).

Which style of this font did you specifically use? And Windows or macOS version?

I tried this with Rubik ExtraBold on Windows, and did not have problems with exporting to PDF any version of capitalization of the letter É. The font also seems to have all regular diacritics so I do not get it:

diacritics.jpg.4fa3a5a00ac3aa0a2e32ba58a3846192.jpg

Note: These were typeset in 88 points.

7 minutes ago, big smile said:

I don’t think the font is the issue, because if I replace those lines with Helvetica, but keep the font size the same, the issue remains:

Did not read this before my post but yes, it seems something else is causing this behavior. Could it be using a baseline grid that somehow affects only the diacritics? 

UPDATE: E.g., could it be that this only occurs on the top line of a text frame? Or that you are running Publisher beta and having one of its top frame alignment options that is buggy and causes this behavior?

6 minutes ago, Lagarto said:

Which style of this font did you specifically use? And Windows or macOS version?

I am using Bold and Regular on Mac Os 10.14.6

3 minutes ago, Lagarto said:

Could it be using a baseline grid that somehow affects only the diacritics?

I haven't set up any baseline grid.

Here are my font settings in the stylesheet

Font: Rubik; Font weight: Bold; Italic: Off; Font width: Normal; Font size: 30 pt; All caps; Align paragraph: Center; Leading mode: % ideal; Leading: 100 %; Space after: 15 pt

Here is the character panel for the font:

465462971_ScreenShot2020-10-01at12_26_34.jpg.dea1b088bb7ae265f5c8340f416fd167.jpg

Here is the paragraph panel for the font:

1703059797_ScreenShot2020-10-01at12_28_16.jpg.7af22762c6407bfd39e088bc4dca2a65.jpg

21 minutes ago, Lagarto said:

UPDATE: E.g., could it be that this only occurs on the top line of a text frame? Or that you are running Publisher beta and having one of its top frame alignment options that is buggy and causes this behavior?

The text is at the top line of the frame. Originally, the text frame was set to Vertical: top align. However, I tried center align, and the issue persists. I am using Publisher 1.8.4 (retail version) on Mac OS 10.14.6

4 minutes ago, big smile said:

The text is at the top line of the frame. Originally, the text frame was set to Vertical: top align. However, I tried center align, and the issue persists. I am using Publisher 1.8.4 (retail version) on Mac OS 10.14.6

Ok, and I checked the beta, and it seems to work ok with its different top alignment options. As the text behaves ok on screen and exports correctly as bitmaps, and can also be reproduced with fonts like Helvetica, this seems to be a PDFlibrary problem and only occurs with PDF export. I am not sure what could help with this (other than the regular "have you tried turn off and on again" fix).

1 hour ago, Lagarto said:

The font also seems to have all regular diacritics

I based my earlier comment

1 hour ago, Alfred said:

on this table from the Google Fonts page:

B59A1E19-219E-4A2E-A5B8-DC5229D8A552.jpeg
Looking again now, I don’t even see any diacritics on their own.

Alfred online2long.gif

Seems to be a Mac problem. Everything fine here on Win 10. If it is just the headings, how about converting them to curves as a workaround?

rubik.jpg

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 8 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

6 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

Seems to be a Mac problem. Everything fine here on Win 10. If it is just the headings, how about converting them to curves as a workaround?

Thanks, is there an easy way to convert to everything curves (preferably on export, so I can leave the original document unchanged without having to make a back up copy). It's a long document with over 100 pages.

38 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

Seems to be a Mac problem. Everything fine here on Win 10.

That doesn’t look fine to me! The acute accent should be horizontally centred over the É, not offset to the right.

Alfred online2long.gif

27 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

Seems to be a Mac problem. Everything fine here on Win 10.

The accent mark is in a strange place, though! If I retype it from the same font, it gets the correct place and shape:

diacritics_oddity.jpg.f92e6cddaab0c7087e09445564754dda.jpg

@big smile -- how have you entered the text (and specifically the diacritics) -- could it be that the text is from an opened PDF so that there is initially something odd with the encoding? If I copy paste the odd É in Publisher, I get just E without diacritics, if I paste it in InDesign, I get the correct É, so this definitely appears to be an encoding problem. I'll test this on macOS version.

Yes, the diacritic is a backspaced single acute (negative kerned) so it is oddly composed. It is not the É glyph but a construction probably from another source.

UPDATE: So to fix this, you should replace characters E and ´ following each other with the glyph É (which is a composite in the font level). These kinds of errors happen especially when opening PDF text.

UPDATE2: Another way to fix this would be copy the text, paste it in e.g. Word, then copy it and paste it back in Publisher. The explanation is that Publisher cannot correctly read the encoding and instead of placing a composite glyph, it uses the composing parts as separate entities and positions them incorrectly.
EDIT: Sorry, no. Other apps just read the encoding correctly but do not change it. When pasted back the error stays in Publisher, or gets even worse, so the character pairs that cause the error really just need to be replaced with the actual glyphs. Or then convert to curves as you already did.

UPDATE3: Interestingly Find and Replace can read the encoding correctly so when you copy E and the following acute in the Clipboard and then paste them in the Find box, it shows as é (as the text has capital formatting applied). Then in the replace box you could enter either é or É (preferrably lower case version to avoid mixed case in unformatted text) to have the incorrectly behaving composite replaced with a correctly behaving diacritic.

rindreplace01.jpg.7c70eaa3ae901be576300563219d01e1.jpg

rindreplace02.jpg.12d7dee80dd4e0bea8c9b1b46d6aa729.jpg