You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo doesn't install well

Valentyn_L

Hello, My company have bought the affinity suite for my work station and even if publisher and designer work perfectly well, Photo doesn't. At the launch I've got this message which say :
" Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item. " (see the picture n°1)
Desinstalling and installing doesn't work, the same for opening as administrator. I've tried to check the %appdata% file of affinity photo and they doesn't existe ?!? :0

Do you have a solution ?

Also I've got the latest affinity version an intel xeon E-1630 v4 3,70 hz, 32 Go of ram and an Quadro M5000

1_AffinityPhoto.jpg.1e710d79ac7c51f53fe2852a2c5e7cd7.jpg

2_AffinityPhoto.jpg.1d9fa4c3a3d07f6a7f9f9a46e0b3d94e.jpg

Edited by Valentyn_L

• Staff

Hey Valentyn_L,

Have you restarted the machine and made sure there are no pending Windows updates etc?

Can you see Leigh's advice about sending us your Setup log here:
https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/98922-faq-installer-errors-setup-failed-installer-windows-ui-issues/&do=findComment&comment=541687

The SetupUI.log file shows that the program was installed to C:\Program Files\Affinity\Photo.

Does that directory exist? The screenshots provided above show C:\Programmes\Affinity\Photo, which is different. If the directory was renamed from Program Files to Programmes after installation, or if the subdirectories were moved from Program Files to Programmes, the programs would not work.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 9/15/2020 at 4:58 PM, walt.farrell said:

The SetupUI.log file shows that the program was installed to C:\Program Files\Affinity\Photo.

Does that directory exist? The screenshots provided above show C:\Programmes\Affinity\Photo, which is different. If the directory was renamed from Program Files to Programmes after installation, or if the subdirectories were moved from Program Files to Programmes, the programs would not work.

Yes, that directory exist, it's actually the same thing. "\program files" must be the english name and since my computer is in french it translate to "\Programmes".
When I type "program files" in the reserch bar it lead me directly to \Programmes.

4 hours ago, Valentyn_L said:

Yes, that directory exist, it's actually the same thing. "\program files" must be the english name and since my computer is in french it translate to "\Programmes".
When I type "program files" in the reserch bar it lead me directly to \Programmes.

Thanks. Please try this:

1. Press the Windows key and R.
  2. In the dialog that opens, type c:\program files\affinity\photo into the box
  3. Press OK (or whatever it is in French :) )

That should give you a File Explorer window. What directory is displayed? Is there a photo.exe file in it?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

The directory displaid is " c:\program files\affinity\photo " but when i go back with alt+up it lead me to "c:\" with "Programme" hilighted. So yeah that's the windows translation in french (it's also OK in french :))
There is a photo.exe in there but it does the same thing as the shortcut on the desktop

GOOD NEWS !

The IT manager of my company found the problem ! I have two .exe in my installation folder a Photo.exe and a photo_.exe the desktop shortcut was from the Photo.exe while it was the other one needed to launch the app.

Also it's very strange because I never saw it before he asked me to check for it ?

Anyway it's resolve now I think, thank you for your help :)

image.png.7e7c32c1f764091682b9deab0da85605.png

image.png

Edited by Valentyn_L
removed a screenshot

17 hours ago, Chris B said:

Thanks Valentyn_L,

Any idea how that Photo_.exe was made? It looks like you were using the correct .exe initially so I'm absolutely perplexed as to what went wrong here.

So I've got the answer from my IT manager and the answer is... a little weird :D

He said he created it himself by copying it and changing the name. He encountered this same problem with other softwares and resolved it like this. He also have no idea why that work ¯\_(ツ)_/¯