You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

No metadata embedded in slice

I'm in the process of making screen pictures to my Mac. Rather than cropping my pictures to 10x16 (the screen proportions, 1600 by 2540 pixels actually) in the photo persona I decided to use slices in export persona, since this would enable me to export in other formats, resolutions and croppings in the future.

So after developing the raw picture and adding an extra layer for retouching I switch to export persona and draw a slice with the slice tool, entering exact proportions of what's effectively a crop. I rename the slice ensure proper format (jpeg high quality) and add proper resolution (1600h actually) and export this slice only . Embed metadata checkbox checked of course.

The picture itself comes out exactly as I planned it, but when I check there are no metadata.

As a sidecheck I exported the same picture with File | Export and also exported the slice, if that is the word, which appear to be automatically created by export persona. Both times metadata was exported as it should. Well actually some metadata was lost, but I believe this to be an import issue (research continues). 

For this I used Affinity Photo 1.8.4 on MacBook Pro 13 inch 2017 running Catalina 10.15.6

Delfinhopp_EOS_760D_20-08-07_2851.afphoto EOS_760D_20-08-07_2851.CR2 EOS 760D 20-08-07 2851.xmp

16 hours ago, Stefan Isaksson said:

in the photo persona I decided to use slices in export persona, since this would enable me to export in other formats, resolutions and croppings in the future.

You can still export the image with metadata in the Export persona but you would need to crop the image first to the size you want (before entering the Export Persona) then just export the default "slice" that is automatically created for you upon entering the Export persona.

i.e Don't use the slice tool in the Export persona to crop the image, use the Crop Tool in the Photo Persona to crop it.

Note: Cropping is non-destructive in Affinity Photo, so all of your image is still there should you need to uncrop it in the future

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• 5 months later...
On 8/27/2020 at 10:09 AM, Chris B said:

Hey Stefan Isaksson, welcome to the Affintiy Forums.

We only export metadata for the entire image—not the slice. It essentially just mirrors the Export dialog settings so it gets it by default. 

Since there is a dedicated option to exclude the metadata at will, wouldn't it be the most logical thing to assume you can also include them at will in anything.

On 8/27/2020 at 11:31 AM, carl123 said:

You can still export the image with metadata in the Export persona but you would need to crop the image first to the size you want (before entering the Export Persona) then just export the default "slice" that is automatically created for you upon entering the Export persona.

i.e Don't use the slice tool in the Export persona to crop the image, use the Crop Tool in the Photo Persona to crop it.

Note: Cropping is non-destructive in Affinity Photo, so all of your image is still there should you need to uncrop it in the future

I think the whole sense behind the export persona (which I love to use) is that you don't have to change your crops multiple times. If I want to change my picture even the slightest and also want to export an uncrossed version I have to go back, export, crop and export again. And pray to the cropping gods that my new crop is close to the previous one.

What I am pointing at is, that it is very inconvenient to offer an advantage while taking something else people want. And including metadata from the file isn't really that hard, c`mon.

• 3 months later...

I was also expecting that the slices are exported with metadata when I check the "include metadata" option in the export persona. A rather annoying circumstance in production workflow, when one has to add metadata already added to AP to each exported slice...

In my opinion, metadata management in AP would be much more useful, if all the metadata would be added to every slice AND that one could overwrite some metadata fields like description for each slice.

45 minutes ago, algo said:

I was also expecting that the slices are exported with metadata when I check the "include metadata" option in the export persona. A rather annoying circumstance in production workflow, when one has to add metadata already added to AP to each exported slice...

In my opinion, metadata management in AP would be much more useful, if all the metadata would be added to every slice AND that one could overwrite some metadata fields like description for each slice.

Its hilarious, honestly. I currently am forced to use a dedicated metadata management software and copy every set of data over manually for the slices.

Its even more funny if you consider that they managed to add an entire dialogue telling you if or if not the data will be included after leaving the mark checked.

2015272005_Bildschirmfoto2021-04-07um12_52_36.png.b00a5e12e2c0d00a452c527ca11bb6d1.png