You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[1.8.4.693] Delay while dragging multi-layered symbols

Hi,

While updating seamless patterns for some brushes...

I Seem to be having an issue with symbols and nested layers (+groups). Where Copy/Paste between tabled files generates severe lagging in the recipient file.

1. Open 3-4 working files (Originals created in 1.8.3 versions!)
2. Copy a Symbol file between open files then move it across screen (to try and position on grid)..it sort of vanishes!
3. I have attached a video (.mkv) of the process and results for reference and an image of the breakdown of 1 pattern...

Files:
a. Untitled for testing brush (dynamics and subbrush)
b. Pattern Export file (20 on predefined grids (200x200px) or 800x800 for Style
c. Symbol construction file (testing seamless pattern and stacking variations

NB
These symbol files and working files can be quite complex with multiple layers and 100's of vector objects..
Essentially multi-layered seamless (ish!) vector patterns stacked to generate different results by switching layers or changing/adjusting the layer options

Unwanted Layers removed when finalising pattern...

They were working fine in the previous version/s

If you detach the symbol.... delay effect is reduced but can look as though the images are constantly trying to re-adjust inside the symbol area...I was thinking it was due to complexity of file (symbol)

Graphic card driver is up-to-date...(been constant for past few weeks)

symbol complexity.jpg

output.mkv

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4.2 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.5 2.2415
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1

Hi,

Yep no Problem! 
I have absolutely no issues supplying the files...I am sure the results will work their way to the forum at some point:)..and they would be useful for testing!

I have uploaded the three files to dropbox... that I have been  using..If you also need the brush set let me Know!...but it's a bit of W.I.P.

There were 4 files in the video
1. DrawingBoard concept Ink patterns 13.afdesign
Concept ink patterns is the export files

2. DrawingBoard Poison Grass 03.afdesign
Poison Grass 03 is the upgrade file for the brush set (I am just working on upgrading the brush sets to 1.7 engine!)..but thought it would be a good idea to use pattern generator!O.o

3. pattern Generator_04.afdesign
pattern Generator is the development files
4. untitled.afdesign
Just a brush test file (Pixel Persona) A4 Landscape I believe

They are complex but self explanatory.

The same process was used to create these:Camouflage Patterns
The mechanism is documented here: pattern creation but I have reworked this document since  but gives you an idea of process

The files are quite large as I have stacked some of the older files inside....
I am aware things slow down with complex files but I can re-order them and delete what I do not need...I think they will have to be simplified so I can complete the brush set!

NB Sometimes I have >4 files open..but aware this can slow down the app over time...!

Thanks for picking it up!

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4.2 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.5 2.2415
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0

Nice video....yours works better than mine!:)..that's what I usually see!

I usually reboot when the app start to slow...in this case for me it did not have much effect..

Last night I reset the APP and rebooted (had to really...as windows was doing .net updates!)....again!

I tried it with less files and breaking out of the symbol by copying one of the layered symbols onto a new document...(so the doc is then much simpler!) and detatching in symbols panel

This sort of works but did find that when you move the symbol around the delay was gone but the image inside seemed to be refreshing at different rates as you scrolled.

This made me think it was the graphics card but it's up to date and there are have been no other issues.

I was surprised to see the lagging...I expected the files to slow down due to the number of objects but..not seen AD do something like this before....for a long time anyway!

Just reopened the files and I am still getting this delay effect...oddly If I use the keyboard arrows the object moves without the delay..If I use the Wacom I get the effect (Its an old Intuous 4)...

I will see if I can get it to do this other effect and record it!

... and work around it for now and simplify the layering 

Update
I just compared the same files with latest Beta (1.8.5.703) and Live version open at the same time The issue still occurs...for me...(1.8.4.693) which is what I expected!

Repeated same process in latest beta...it's basically gone away!:) 

Thanks!..for whatever you did!

Happy now!

13 minutes ago, StuartRc said:

Update
I just compared the same files with latest Beta (1.8.5.703) and Live version open at the same time The issue still occurs...for me...(1.8.4.693) which is what I expected!

Repeated same process in latest beta...it's basically gone away!:) 

Thanks!..for whatever you did!

Happy now!

Looks like it was the High Precision input (you could try enabling that option in the latest beta to confirm it).

Hi, No problem..I have toggled the mode....

Yep..that was exactly it!...in High Precision Mode there is a considerable delay/lag when dragging objects..just like the original video, Low Precision works fine...

1 minute ago, StuartRc said:

Hi, No problem..I have toggled the mode....

Yep..that was exactly it!...in High Precision Mode there is a considerable delay/lag when dragging objects..just like the original video, Low Precision works fine...

Thanks for checking, it's possibly that the High Precision mode is generating lots of extra input points, which is causing the app to do more work. Perhaps in the future we could investigate a "High Precision for Brushes Only" mode... as that's where it's most important.

4 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

Thanks for checking, it's possibly that the High Precision mode is generating lots of extra input points, which is causing the app to do more work. Perhaps in the future we could investigate a "High Precision for Brushes Only" mode... as that's where it's most important.

Pleasure!..least it's clearer what the issue was...These layered brush base texture patterns...work pretty well but they do use a lot of nodes...again thanks for fixing it!

52 minutes ago, Sean P said:

Hi StuartRc,

Just wanted to add that I was able to reproduce the issue once I starting using my tablet in 1.8.4 (and also in 1.8.5 using High Precision). :)

It was just a little less visible than originally thought!....hidden in devices and configuration....which I suppose is a bit of a grey area!...thanks for picking it up ...and so quickly!...