You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Bug when using pen

I have been having this exact issue as well, only it is not isolated to either the pen tool or when using my tablet stylus (issue with mouse as well). It acts as if multiple inputs are happening at once. As I draw it is also creates multiple rulers or tries to switch tools. It has rendered Designer absolutely unusable. I can't even close the application properly after attempting any action with a tool.

Edit: I tried using the Command Line Fix from another post in case it was the Wintab settings being altered in the new version, but it had zero improvement.

Edited by KynaMH

• Staff
On 8/8/2020 at 7:58 PM, minh.ngoc.truong said:

Sometimes using the pen, the cursor goes crazy. I only see this happen in Affinity Designer, not other apps

Hi minh.ngoc.truong,
What device are you using? We've had similar issues using an XP Pen. Does enabling Legacy Tablet Input (see link below) allow you to work around the issue?

16 hours ago, Paul Wild said:

Having pen issues here also.....Veikk A30 working fine on everything other than the vector pen tool...and its across all 3 programs

tried it on my laptop and it was OK there... reloaded the drivers for the tablet on my PC but still not joining.

Hi Paul,

Just been trying this on a Wacom Intuos and not getting the behaviour you're seeing there. Could you try enabling the Legacy Tablet Input flag as shown below and see if that allows you to work around the issue?

Hi everyone, thanks for your patience. In the latest customer beta (1.8.5.703) we have changed the default tablet input method to be the Low Precision mode, the same as in 1.8.3, and added a new Preferences option that allows users to opt-in to High Precision or Windows Ink modes. If you would like to check it out, the details are here:

@Mark Ingram

I installed the beta and tried Low Precision, High Precision, and Windows Ink modes. I was only able to recreate the issue when using the High Precision setting.

I also wanted to mention that this issue is also occurring in Affinity Photo v1.8.4.693. Not sure if I should start another thread or not, let me know.

We'd like to take a look at what is happening. So could I ask you to upload your log file please?

These are the steps to get the additional logging information and locate the Log.txt file for 1.8.5.703:

1. Locate your Designer.exe in Program Files > Affinity > Designer Customer Beta
  2. Create a shortcut on your desktop > Right click the shortcut
  3. Select Properties Shortcut tab > In the Target box after Designer.exe" leave a space and type --input-logging > Click OK
  4. Launch the new shortcut > Select Edit > Preferences > Under Tablet Input Method - choose High Precision > Select Close
  5. Draw some lines as above > Save your document > Close the app

You will find the Log.txt file in the following place: AppData\Roaming\Affinity\Designer\1.0  (Beta)

If you have any issues let me know.

input_logging.png