You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

impossible to export slice in exact size

I just can't export slices with the right mesure the frame takes a pixel too much.
No it's not a problem of pixel position. It's everything in whole pixel.
I need to send slice of interface to the client and i'm stuck with this. 

45 minutes ago, monema said:

It's everything in whole pixel.

What steps did you take to ensure this?

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

The red ‘Home’ button is 71 by 71 but the grey one and all the other round ones are 70.7 by 70.7, and all of the objects have non-integer y coordinates. If you change all of the dimensions and coordinates to whole pixels, the sizes of the exported shapes should be correct.

Alfred spacer.png

1 minute ago, monema said:

Have you seen the video?

I’m afraid the video didn’t play for me, so I simply opened your file and inspected the contents.

Alfred spacer.png

Thanks for the upload. Please go to ‘Edit > Preferences...’ and check the settings for decimal places: I think it’s labelled ‘Decimal places for unit types’ but I can’t check right now.

Alfred spacer.png

15 minutes ago, monema said:

yes this was the original problem i solved setting to zero the parameter since i dont need decimals for pixels.
But it's the same, just like you see in the video. The size are wrong.

That only controls the number of decimals that are displayed. If you put an object at a non-integer pixel position, say 70.1 it will then display as 70 but it is still really at 70.1.

You need to adjust the X/Y coordinates of all the objects, and their sizes, to make them integers. It's easiest to do that while you're building the file, by using the appropriate Snapping options (Force Pixel Alignment should be on, and Move by Whole Pixels should probably be off).

Or, at this point, you can set those snapping options and nudge each object a bit to get it pixel aligned (or use the Transform panel and type integer values for each object).

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

No, I didn't see the video.

But, again, that Preference setting is only for displaying sizes and coordinates. You are the one who needs to draw the items at the correct coordinates and sizes. What you need to do is set the Preference to a higher value, say 3 or 6. Then you will be able to see the actual sizes and coordinates.

Alfred has told you what you actually have in your .afdesign document, and I agree. Here, for example, is what I see in your .afdesign document for one of the circles:

image.png.682eaabf73f44341d64ef050dc7d8924.png

With that non-integer Y coordinate that object would export with a height of 72px rather than 71px.

Here's the second red circle, with non-integer values for X, Y, W, and H. It, too, will export 1 px larger in the non-integer directions.

image.png.6248e4e16b1c26d87a2361dafc7bf9ac.png

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Again: That is not the solution.
Please if you want to help, please spend 46 seconds and see the video.
Is anyone so kind to see the video where i just show how i draw a shape and,  in export persona the sizes result WRONG?

I watched the video and I saw you drag out a rectangle at a seemingly random position on the screen. The Transform panel showed whole numbers for the coordinates and dimensions of that rectangle, but it is unlikely that the actual values were all integers unless you had the appropriate snapping options carefully set up.

Alfred spacer.png

25 minutes ago, monema said:

Again: That is not the solution

Have you tried it? 

Many users have had your experience, and it is always the answer.

-- Walt
PC:

Ok i see...thanks a lot, but can you explain how can i create a shape with no decimal coordinates? I have Whole pixel selected and qhen i create a shape the coordinates are in decimal...I think i'm goin mad.
And why in older Designer versions i never had this problem?
thank you so much

Hello,
When I create graphics for the web, where everything has to be created exactly, I use the grid that I have set with pixel spacing. Then you only have to activate the function that the objects can be aligned with the grid. Then the problem should be solved.

3 hours ago, monema said:

Other oddities, everything is set whole pixel and then whern i alt + drag an object to copy it, this take decimals in the coords. Even if the starting coordinates are WHOLE NUMBER.

Using Alt ioverrides the Snapping options when you move the copy.. You should duplicate the object (Ctrl+J, or Cmd+J on Mac) and move the copy, rather than using Alt, because you need the Snapping for your work. Or just use Ctrl (Cmd on Mac) rather than Alt, to make a copy and move it.

The modifier keys and their effects are shown in the Status Bar at the bottom of the window.

-- Walt
PC:

The same if i change dimentions by boundin box. It loses snap. right?
Why in the world?
Anytime i change manually the size of an object i need to adjust the number...
In what world i need to use decimals in pixel by default.
it makes non sense at all.
Thanks for your time.

Hi. No it just does not work most of the time.
I switched to a website layout project i'm making, and i take a look to the coordinates and dimensions of inside objects. They are all in decimals! Just because i needed to hand resize everything.

objects where the ratio must be kept will rarely fall in integer values in one of the dimensions

yes. and export persona goes crazy. I'm goin too.

Just in case, i'm doing this job since i was 20 and now i'm 42. I started to use AD because we all need an alternative to adobe, another point of view.
And because i'm truly passionate for new creative things.
So i started to use AD more and more until it became tragically slow ans sluggish in my PC (i've already open some threads) and now if this is the way to work, i think this is not the answer for me.
I've never fight for pixel decimals, or for phantomatic HALF pixels coming out from nowhere in my entire professional life.
Thanks a lot for the answer anyway.