You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How do I write text on a path in 2020?

There are numerous tutorials suggesting that you can hover the text tool over a path and it will allow you to type on a curve, but that is not the case in the 2020 version of the software. Hovering over a curve is no different than hovering anywhere else, and clicking results in a new normal text layer being created.

I have also seen it suggested to select the path and go to layer -> convert to text path, but sadly, that is also not a thing in the 2020 version of the software. I can right click it and convert it to a text frame, but that just contains the text, it doesn't allow me to write it in a circle or along a custom path.

Edit: I just realized everything I was finding was for Designer even though I was looking for Photo. So, there's no way to do it in Photo? That's a bit silly but I do have Designer so I guess I'll just do it there.

4 minutes ago, TelFiRE said:

I have also seen it suggested to select the path and go to layer -> convert to text path, but sadly, that is also not a thing in the 2020 version of the software. I can right click it and convert it to a text frame, but that just contains the text, it doesn't allow me to write it in a circle or along a custom path.

Assuming you are using Designer, right-click does not contain the command to convert to text path. You need to use the Layer menu at the top of the screen

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

15 minutes ago, TelFiRE said:

That's a bit silly but I do have Designer so I guess I'll just do it there.

You can use the Menu File -> "Edit in Designer" command to easily switch between AP and AD. After making your text on curves, switch back with "Edit in Photo".

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

25 minutes ago, TelFiRE said:

Edit: I just realized everything I was finding was for Designer even though I was looking for Photo. So, there's no way to do it in Photo? That's a bit silly but I do have Designer so I guess I'll just do it there.

You can edit a path-text object created in Designer, or you can create one directly in Photo by using a macro:

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)