You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I just finished watching the tutorials for developing a 3D isometric building, which was very interesting. A great tutorial, but now I want to learn all the options inside the Grid and Axis Manager menu, but I cannot find anything in the Help topics. The most I found was a brief description of the grid system. Can you direct me where to find more information on the Grid and Axis Manager?

• Staff

Hi crabtrem,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

I believe the Grid and Axis Manager wasn't documented yet. It's a recent addition that's not finished (there will be more improvements/features coming to grids/snapping), and so it remains incomplete for now. This should improve as soon as the new changes/improvements are implemented and the whole system is finished. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Have you guys tried adding a US or UK keyboard under the Input Sources tab in the Keyboard System Preference?

If you enable the checkbox titled Show input menu in menu bar, you'll get a little flag in the upper right side of your menu bar. You can select another keyboard mapping which has the keys you need to use AD/AP. This should work... cheers!

Neither you nor me until we have customisable shortcuts available, unless there's other solution that i'm not aware of...

Still looking into this.

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

Don't forget to enable the Create Plane Set check box so that when you press the Apostrophe key you can cycle through all 3 plane sets. I just verified this technique and it works. When I switch my Input Sources keyboard from US to Portuguese, I cannot use the Apostrophe key to switch iso planes, but with the US keyboard Input method it works fine..

Hope this is useful for our international Affinity brethren and sisterhood...

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

MEB,

Thank you for the response. I played with the Grid and Axis Manager a little more, and found some more information in the help files to assist. What I seem to be having trouble with now is I would like to set up an environment that I can have a horizon, one or two vanishing points, and then have the grid align to those vanishing points and horizon. I cannot figure out how to do that. I thought varying the aspect ration between the planes might do it, but I think I would have to use multiplication or maybe division on the value. I'm not sure at this moment if that's even possible, or a reasonable solution? Thank you in advance.

• Staff

The grid system by nature is only good for parallel perspective (isometric, etc).  An axis defines non-converging lines.

I have been thinking about one, two and three point perspective, and how they would work with our snapping system.  I have ideas, but it will be a while yet.  So, right now we do not support distance perspective.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB