You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is there a keyboard short cut to copy text formatting?

10 hours ago, gmckel said:

Is there a keyboard short cut to copy formatting of text? There is the paint tool in Word.

Hello @gmckel, welcome to the forum.

copy formatting of a selection of text is not possible at the moment. APub basically relies on paragraph and character styles.

There is a command 'Edig > Paste Style' but this only works on vector objects and not on parts of a selected text.

There is a rather cumbersome workaround using a character style:

1. Mark the text from what you want to copy it's style.
  2. Switch to Text Styles panel and create a character style from the selection. (I usually call it something like 'temp 1').
  3. Mark the text you want to apply the styling and select the newly created character style from the Text Styles panel. This transfers the formatting.
  4. One last step: note that both sections of text are now 'linked together' via their common character style. The next time you update this 'temp'' style to something different it will also update all other sections of text that share this style. To avoid this you have to select 'Detach characters from ...' from the Text Styles panel drop down menu.

You see, this is far from using a single keyboard shortcut to copy local formatting. But in some cases of complex formatting it can be a way to accomplish this task.

Thus, I support your request for simple copy of text formatting 🙂

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

• 1 month later...
16 minutes ago, Moon12 said:

I miss also

A pipette that can copy text styles quite fast

like in InDesign and now in Xpress:

I miss this also, but APu is lacking this feature. You have to set up Text Styles and use them on selected text. Here we come to another drawback: Paragraph styles and Character styles are located in the same panel, so having lots of styles could be harder to locate in the panel. Separate panels would be IMO better.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

• 1 year later...

I was looking for this too. I have my own workaround... I use a little Mac app called PopClip (it's the greatest) It does a ton of stuff beyond what I describe here.

with Popclip, I select the text I want and copy it. Theres an extension you can get for it at their website which pastes what you've copied but removes any formatting. I paste it into something that has the formatting I already want (made once) and whatever I paste assumes the new formatting of what you're pasting it into. Not perfect, but fairly painless. 

Just in case I'm not clear, here it is again in slow motion...

1 - have something created in the format that you want - Font / weight / size etc.

2 - copy the text that you need to change

3 - paste that text into the the text from step one. You have to use the extension that strips out formatting as you paste, otherwise it will keep that formatting as you paste it down. This is an extension that you add from their website (it's free, the app isn't but ridiculously reasonable).

I'd put a link in here for the software, not sure if it's against the rules. Google will do it for you - popclip app should do it!

Hope this helps

On 10/12/2021 at 2:21 PM, mr.rm said:

I was looking for this too. I have my own workaround... I use a little Mac app called PopClip (it's the greatest) It does a ton of stuff beyond what I describe here.

with Popclip, I select the text I want and copy it. Theres an extension you can get for it at their website which pastes what you've copied but removes any formatting. I paste it into something that has the formatting I already want (made once) and whatever I paste assumes the new formatting of what you're pasting it into. Not perfect, but fairly painless. 

Just in case I'm not clear, here it is again in slow motion...

1 - have something created in the format that you want - Font / weight / size etc.

2 - copy the text that you need to change

3 - paste that text into the the text from step one. You have to use the extension that strips out formatting as you paste, otherwise it will keep that formatting as you paste it down. This is an extension that you add from their website (it's free, the app isn't but ridiculously reasonable).

This feature already exists in Publisher - simply:

1 - copy the text

2 - position the text cursor where you want to paste and choose Paste Without Format. There's no need to use an extension to strip out formatting as you paste.

I assigned a more convenient keyboard shortcut to Paste Without Format since I use it frequently.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)