You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Stroke don't apply correctly on text converted to curves

I converted text to curves,andlater tried to apply some stroke using the vector brushes, but the stroke wasn't applied correctly.

I tried to:

• close the curve
  • join the curve
  • revert the direction

Nothing corrected the problem. The only way to do this was to add a smaller curve with boolean operation.
So, instead of keeping each character an individual form I could modify later, or spending an hour adding saller curves to each characters, I merge them, hoping I won't need to modify them.

I tested with another document, to be sure it wasn't the original document that was bugged.

2020-05-27_194900.png.91836371d6c02b0a6758d716c457c18c.png

bug_contour.afdesign

Does this problem happen when a glyph from another font is converted to curves? I tried with a few fonts in my Mac version of AD and your problem didn't arise.

By the way, you can correct that P-shaped curve by just clicking the Add button when the curve alone is selected - no need for the rectangle.

On 5/29/2020 at 1:10 PM, Wosven said:

It happens too with Arial.

More tests:
(I applied the stroke in the end to the first text lines)

bug_strokes2.jpg.070648866381df888fedbc379ee37fbf.jpg

bug_strokes.afdesign

Yep, the problem is happening in the macOS app, too. I had been trying brushes containing less elongated rasters when the problem wasn't apparent. I think doing the Add produces paths that are differently parameterised and so the transforming of the applied brush's raster content becomes different. The devs should maybe review the way they are parameterising paths produced from fonts. Brushes applied to text aren't being rendered correctly, although not nearly as badly as when applied to the Curve/Curves objects that are produced from text by Convert To Curves command.

This is odd. Before and after text to curves:

image.png.0dcb9df5319bd31f441ec0e17f6ba755.png

After - why f and i as one object?

image.png.3aeea09e615ea0571278a0e722c36e8e.png

before.afdesign

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

With brush on the stroke:

image.png.e64a17341557576433604f0aa76567c2.png

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

2 hours ago, Wosven said:

That's when the ligatures are on, but there's none in this font. When the option is disabled, each character is separated.

Oh, right! Thanks!

• 2 months later...

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.