You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can you give a more complete example, Kat?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Not sure if you mean with old contents something else, but that's usually the way a systems undo/redo stack works. Meaning, an undo as it's name implies, will take back (remove) your last applied operation/contents and pushing that operation/contents onto a stack. If you now do a redo that pops back (reapplies) from the stack the previously by an undo removed operation/contents.

Note however that the undo/redo stack's size (the amount of undos/redos it can hold) can be customized in preferences. - Further the Affinity apps history panel should usually also give a sort of visualization/indication of what has been removed/reapplied via the undo/redo chain.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Might it happen for any reason (a shortcut key?) that you get a "paste" action instead of "redo" and thereby paste any previously copied content from your clipboard memory?

To check what redo will cause you alternatively can control it via the History Panel, which also enables you to go back and forward in the entire history since you opened the file. In this panel you also might see where this text comes from (= was used before).

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

49 minutes ago, kat said:

I did a couple of undos then a redo. Almost immediately Text pasted from before I even started AP. See text layer in layers. This happens repeatedly.

Did you used the Edit menu entries or keyboard shortcut commands when performing the undo & redo commands? - Since it looks more like something, which then might has been added via the operating systems applications wide shared pasteboard instead of Affinity's undo/redo chain.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

1 hour ago, thomaso said:

Might it happen for any reason (a shortcut key?) that you get a "paste" action instead of "redo" and thereby paste any previously copied content from your clipboard memory?

To check what redo will cause you alternatively can control it via the History Panel, which also enables you to go back and forward in the entire history since you opened the file. In this panel you also might see where this text comes from (= was used before).

Using the history panel is a great idea! I'll check it out.

Re the shared pasteboard. I know that  text when copied in another program is  left in the clipboard. Why AP insists on pasting text I have no idea.

On 5/15/2020 at 5:26 PM, thomaso said:

History panel is wonderful. I can control exactly what happens when AP does something I don't want. Plus I can see what AP is doing which is teaching me how the program thinks. I never used history in psd because I didn't use it. So far I'm painting away and haven't baled for Painter–yet ; )

2 minutes ago, kat said:

History panel is wonderful. I can control exactly what happens

Indeed a helpful feature. Note also the possibility to save the history with your document: if activated (Menu File > Save History...) then you can go back even after reopening this file, e.g. on a different computer, or at any later time. – Or the "cycle future" option (the one like a 'option-key' icon, a branch)...

Did you detect sufficiently where the recently pasted text came from? No issue caused by Affinity, right?

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

17 hours ago, thomaso said:

Indeed a helpful feature. Note also the possibility to save the history with your document: if activated (Menu File > Save History...) then you can go back even after reopening this file, e.g. on a different computer, or at any later time. – Or the "cycle future" option (the one like a 'option-key' icon, a branch)...

Did you detect sufficiently where the recently pasted text came from? No issue caused by Affinity, right?

I remember seeing the cycle future branch on a tutorial. Never tried it though.

Haven't yet done a paste text. Probably because I'm able to track redos and undo and keep track of what I'm doing with the history panel. I know that text is in left in  the clipboard from another app use.

The history panel is a life saver. No text paste since I started using the history panel.

Still can't do mixer brush really well and can't find AP videos for painting, just adjusting photos.

I'll switch to Painter but I have gotten much father in AP than in the past.

Thanks so much for all the help, everyone!

Screen Shot 2020-05-18 at 7.16.05 PM.png