You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

This is probably a simple solution, but I am trying to use the corner tool and having some issues. I know with the large circle nodes on a corner, you just need to transform the node type to a sharp corner to be able to use the corner tool. But what about the small circle node? It doesn't let me use the corner tool on it and I am not sure what to do or if there is a way to change the node type? On the image below, note that there are 2 small cirlce nodes where there should be square nodes on the corners. How can I get these to work with the corner tool?

Screen Shot 2020-05-08 at 6.11.43 PM.png

Use the Node tool to select the two round nodes and then use the context toolbar to change to a Sharp node. You may need to go to View > Show Context Toolbar and check it.

2104156771_ScreenShot2020-05-09at7_33_39AM.png.f29fa46aed95fbea454aefa9fd017722.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

12 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

Use the Node tool to select the two round nodes and then use the context toolbar to change to a Sharp node. You may need to go to View > Show Context Toolbar and check it.

2104156771_ScreenShot2020-05-09at7_33_39AM.png.f29fa46aed95fbea454aefa9fd017722.png

I tried that, but when I do that it warps the shape and I cant get it back to what I want.

On 5/9/2020 at 11:06 PM, Big C said:

when I do that it warps the shape

Of course it does...  you are changing a rounded part of the shape into a straight one.  If that is not what you want to do, then you can't use the corner tool on that node.  The corner tool only works where straight lines meet.

27 minutes ago, fde101 said:

The corner tool only works where straight lines meet.

Or rather, the Corner Tool only works on a sharp node. The real question here is why the left and right semicircles in the OP’s screenshot don’t have two sharp nodes like the middle semicircle does.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

3 minutes ago, Alfred said:

why the left and right semicircles in the OP’s screenshot don’t have two sharp nodes like the middle semicircle does

Ah, good catch.  I was looking at the ones in the middle of the semi-circles; obviously those won't work...  but agree, the ones on those corners at least in theory should convert well?

Also, why are the circles smaller than the squares?  Playing around with this in Designer on mine they seem to be very nearly the same size.

I played with it a bit and the only way so far that I seem to get those is if I start with the corner tool to create rounded sections then bake the corners.  If I then double-click on one of them they switch to the larger circles and become "normal".  I'm not sure what the smaller ones are supposed to represent?

19 minutes ago, fde101 said:

Ah, good catch.  I was looking at the ones in the middle of the semi-circles; obviously those won't work...  but agree, the ones on those corners at least in theory should convert well?

Thanks.

20 minutes ago, fde101 said:

Also, why are the circles smaller than the squares?  Playing around with this in Designer on mine they seem to be very nearly the same size.

I played with it a bit and the only way so far that I seem to get those is if I start with the corner tool to create rounded sections then bake the corners.  If I then double-click on one of them they switch to the larger circles and become "normal".  I'm not sure what the smaller ones are supposed to represent?

Those nodes are only smaller when the Corner Tool is active. I presume that’s simply to indicate that the tool will have no effect on them.

Alfred spacer.png

Thanks guys, appreciate it. Yes, the "small circles" are only when the corner tool is active and I am assuming that it is just showing they can't be modified by the corner tool.

I still can't find a reason why they would not have square corners as the others do which means I need to convert them and then attempt to correct the warped circle. Here is what it looks like once I convert the node to a sharp corner (or square node). Is there a way to easily correct the warped part to recreate a perfect half circle (to match the others or does it just manually have to be done with the handles?

Screen Shot 2020-05-11 at 10.04.20 PM.png

On 5/11/2020 at 10:04 PM, Big C said:

Is there a way to easily correct the warped part to recreate a perfect half circle (to match the others or does it just manually have to be done with the handles?

Try holding down shift while dragging the control point to the right.  That will constrain the movement to keep it straight while also causing it to snap to the position of the node above it.  When they are aligned you should be fairly close if not actually there.

10 hours ago, fde101 said:

Try holding down shift while dragging the control point to the right.

Yep, I can do this and I did do this. The only problem is that you end up guessing and it may not be a perfect half circle. But just curious if there was an easy way to get the half circle shape, I guess not. That's ok though!

I wanted to switch from Corel (do corner rounding by one click, no matter which line type) to another program.

But this Affinity Designer "feature" that prevents rounding also prevents switching programs.

Is it planned by Serif to change this?

regards
Raimond

On 5/10/2020 at 4:06 AM, Big C said:

I tried that, but when I do that it warps the shape and I cant get it back to what I want.

You can convert a smooth node to a sharp node without change of shape:

1. activate Node Tool and select the smooth node
  2. position the pointer over a handle of the node
  3. press down mouse left button, then hold down opt key (alt on Windows, I guess), and then release mouse left button before releasing the key

Inevitably, someone will want to say that this doesn't work. Please undo, try again and follow the instructions very carefully if the procedure appears not to work when first attempted.

Edited by anon2

On 5/8/2020 at 3:13 PM, Big C said:

This is probably a simple solution, but I am trying to use the corner tool and having some issues. I know with the large circle nodes on a corner, you just need to transform the node type to a sharp corner to be able to use the corner tool. But what about the small circle node? It doesn't let me use the corner tool on it and I am not sure what to do or if there is a way to change the node type? On the image below, note that there are 2 small cirlce nodes where there should be square nodes on the corners. How can I get these to work with the corner tool?

Screen Shot 2020-05-08 at 6.11.43 PM.png

I find that I get what you see if I have made the above object by subtracting circles from a rectangle, and the circles are lined up so they are half way in. I can get the desired 6 square nodes if I first rotate the circles and then subtract them.

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

1 hour ago, Old Bruce said:

I can get the desired 6 square nodes if I first rotate the circles and then subtract them.

I’ve just tried this in AD on iPad. If I rotate the circles by 90° I get the same result as I got with unrotated circles, and if I rotate them by arbitrary amounts I get the desired six sharp nodes but I also end up with two round nodes on each curve instead of only one.

Alfred spacer.png

Hi @Alfred I just chose arbitrary, 2 degrees. My thinking behind this was that perhaps the nodes on the circles are causing the problem, so a 90 degree rotation would bring the top and bottom nodes to the left and right intersections. 

Now I am getting weirdness happening that didn't happen earlier. I guess I lucked out that first time.

This is some sort of bug but I have no idea what it is for right now. Is it the rotation that sets the round node's location, seems to be from here. Do we need to convert to curves first or later? This should not be happening.

2 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

This should not be happening.

That’s the bottom line, isn’t it! I think we need to wait and see what QA have to say.

Alfred spacer.png