You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I would like to be able to search my own photos of textures held on a local drive on my W10 PC in a similar way that one can view and use stock photos.  I have searched the Forum and training vids but can't see how to do it.  The Library and Asset functions in Studio don't seems relevant here.  In Photoshop one could have then in a panel just like the Stock photos are in AP and then drag and drop them onto the work area as a layer.

Is there anything similar in AP that would allow this drag and drop approach?

In AP is no such media browser (like Bridge or Mini Bridge).

As a workaround for drag & drop from kind of a gallery view in AP you could use its Asset Panel. You fill it manually with images you have opened before in AP. An asset can be a single image layer but also various selected AP layers and layer types.

These assets are copied items, get saved with the app in a specific apps prefs folder and are neither linked to their initially files on your disk nor to an .aphoto document. Once you have dragged an asset onto your canvas it has no asset property any more.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Use Windows File Explorer, which you can configure to show image thumbnails.

Or use File > Place, which will open a File Explorer dialog from which you can choose the files you want.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I use a Mac and have always used floating windows. I find the majority of Windows users do everything fullscreen but personally for workflow efficiency fullscreen just isn't an option. If you can get used to using separate windows you can use File Explorer like Walt mentioned while you're working in Affinity. Im not sure about Windows but one would imagine you can just drag and drop from Explorer to Affinity?

1 hour ago, Nazario said:

Im not sure about Windows but one would imagine you can just drag and drop from Explorer to Affinity?

Yes, for some kinds of files :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 4 weeks later...