You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo - Disable 'Transparent Background' by default

Hey guys,

I've searched through the forums before posting, but couldn't find anything related to the question. 

Is there any way to turn off 'Transparent Background' which is on by default when you open up a new file. It's not a big issue, but most of my work currently within Photo, is bringing in a photo in order to add a frame to it. Every time I open an image, I have to disable the transparent background. 

Thanks in advance. 

Edited by Michael Beecham

Usually the apps should do remember and reuse the last used seetings for new document creations, so if in the new document panel the use transparent background checkbox is checked or not.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

37 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

Usually the apps should do remember and reuse the last used seetings for new document creations, so if in the new document panel the use transparent background checkbox is checked or not.

Thanks for the response. Something must be amiss then, as every time I bring a new image into Photo, the 'transparent background' option is always checked, and I need to uncheck it. 

2 hours ago, Michael Beecham said:

Thanks for the response. Something must be amiss then, as every time I bring a new image into Photo, the 'transparent background' option is always checked, and I need to uncheck it. 

I find that Photo defaults to Transparent Background off. But somehow I've gotten Photo Beta defaulting to Transparent Background on.

I'm not sure what causes that. However, if you hold the Ctrl key while starting the application, and keep it held until you get the menu, you can reset it. Leave Reset User Defaults ticked, everything else unticked, and press Clear.

I'm not sure what else it clears, so it may do more than you want. But it does seem to take care of that setting, at least.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

6 hours ago, Michael Beecham said:

option is always checked, and I need to uncheck it

You can create a hotkey for this.

tb.png

1 hour ago, wonderings said:

No idea if this will work, but in Indesign I would open the application. I would make all my adjustments to settings without a document open up. I would then close Indesign and restart it and all my settings would be retained. Might be worth a shot. 

That works for some settings in Affinity, too, but does not work for this one, as the Document menu items are all disabled without an open document.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 5 months later...

I have the same issue and working on a 200+ page book with lots and lots of photos that are being edited.

It's driving me crazy..   and having to flatten all the time to be able to delete areas of my photos.. 

a real annoyance

---

going to try the hotkey and see if that does the job.

Edited by shazk

• 2 years later...
On 4/27/2020 at 11:41 AM, telemax said:

You can create a hotkey

tb.png

Is there a hotkey for this in affinity designer? I hate that every file in affinity designer doesn't have a default transparency. It would be helpful to be able to toggle it on the fly instead of having to go through a bunch of tabs. If you export a lot of single files this is a huge downside to the software.