You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Use Lightroom XMP Settings for Raw Delopment

Is there a possibility to (partially) import adobe camera raw settings, when opening a raw file?.

When opening a raw file, I can see all my Lightroom settings in the metdata panel, but they have no effect on the settings in photo. A function to convert ACR metadata (as far as possible) to affinity photos settings would be a great help for Lightroom users.

• 10 months later...

Affinity does not yet know the non-destructive develop of RAW files, so it does not use XMP files.

https://www.google.com/search?q=XMP+site%3Aforum.affinity.serif.com

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

13 hours ago, Pšenda said:

Affinity does not yet know the non-destructive develop of RAW files, so it does not use XMP files.

https://www.google.com/search?q=XMP+site%3Aforum.affinity.serif.com

To nitpick: that would not necessarily stop Affinity reading and applying the XMP. But is just does not do it. (Not to mention that interpreting those XMPs may be difficult if they are proprietary.)

• 1 month later...

I am confused.  I ticked the box "Load metadata from xmp  sidecars" but the the changes completed in Lightroom and written to xmp were ignored.  The answers above seems to imply that Affinity Photo can read the xmp files but not actually act on them.

If that is the case, why bother to read them, or more likely I have misunderstood the answers.

My main alteration to a phone was a crop, and that crop was recorded in the xmp but ignored by Affinity.  Can someone please explain what is happening, and if there is a purpose in Affinity reading xmp files?

8 minutes ago, Searcher1851 said:

I ticked the box "Load metadata from xmp  sidecars" but the the changes completed in Lightroom and written to xmp were ignored.  The answers above seems to imply that Affinity Photo can read the xmp files but not actually act on them.

The Metadata is the only thing that will be loaded. No information about the processing is included in Metadata. Did you check to see if the Metadata was in fact changed?

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

To Old Bruce

Thanks for replying, I finally found the Raw metadata and it does indeed record the cropping carried out in Lightroom.  In fact the information recorded appears to account for every operation done to the image right from taking the shot, being processed in Lightroom, taken into Photoshop and the operations carried out therein, being routed back to Lightroom and saved on disc.

Having "read" the data recorded and displayed in Affinity, and realizing that the data is "read only" and not acted upon by the software,I still wonder why the xmp file is basically ignored?

I realize is is good etiquette to quote from your post to form a visual link, but I don't know how that is done. Sorry.

Edited by Searcher1851
Salutation

2 hours ago, Searcher1851 said:

I finally found the Raw metadata and it does indeed record the cropping carried out in Lightroom. 

I don't have any experience with Lightroom so I couldn't check out what sort of information is recorded with the transfer of Metadata. Thanks for explaining. I find the lack of any sort of batch processing raw files in Affinity Photo to be utterly baffling. I can understand why there isn't any action taken by the data from sidecar files from other software, different methods of applying functions would result in wildly different results.

As to etiquette there is a button at the bottom of each  post in my browser of choice Safari on Mac Desktop. Can't comment on other browsers or Windows.

55379976_ScreenShot2021-04-18at3_44_36PM.thumb.png.60b6c808df2cb82d2af4d4b6a59b19a6.png

and I can also select some text and use the automatic Quote button. (usually automatic, sometimes nothing appears)

735485655_ScreenShot2021-04-18at3_51_20PM.png.714c3bdf774283c886c4aa1970ed400e.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.