You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher export to pdf x1a no bleed option?

The option should be only greyed out, when there is no bleed defined in Document Setup.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

Bleed was in fact set up in the Document settings. I have yet to try to print that to pdf to test whether bleed is actually included by default in PDF/X-1a:2003, thus allowing it to be disabled, one might assume.  Brand new to Publisher, if it doesn't show. 

If you want the PDF/X-3:2003 preset to include bleed by default, you'll have to modify the preset and save it with another name (like appending "bleed") since it's impossible to modify default presets when they lack options like bleed checked.

Don't forget to check other needed options.

Publisher allows Bleed for me when I have chosen the PDF/X-1a:2003. I'm not sure why it's grayed out for @nsomnius.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, Wosven said:

Because his document doesn't have bleed (it's set to 0*).

* In the document setup, where it can be modified if it wasn't set when creating the new document.

Mine doesn't have Bleed either, but the Include Bleed option is still available to me when I start with the PDF/X-1a:2003 export preset.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

When my document has no bleed, "Include Bleed" is greyed out in any case, EXCEPT I check "Include Bleed" in the "More" section of the export dialogue. If so "Include Bleed" is checked but greyed out on the main dialogue for export. Is there any specific reason why "Include bleed" has two places to check / uncheck?

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

More details.

What actually happens at PDF export time, in choosing X1a 2001 format I see bleed as an unchecked option, even though it is already set up in document properties. 

As soon as I check bleed on, the preset for X1a 2001 disappears from the preset box, possibly because I'm customizing the settings at that point, but still, bleed should be included by default if it's in the document and it should also be checked when choosing that output format as it's on in the document setup. 

From the Wikipedia:

"ISO 15930-1:2001: PDF/X-1a:2001, blind exchange in CMYK + spot colors, based on PDF 1.3"

The output pdf from Publisher is not output as PDF 1.3, but rather 1.4, which is not PDF/X-1a:2001 as per the above spec, and that's what my printer requires.

They can probably convert it for me but I generally insist on handling alterations of any kind in submitting content intended for press printing. 

--------------------

Just opened the output file in Acrobat DC and it reports the file was saved in PDF/X-1a:2003, not what I need. Open to ideas.

Edited by nsomnius

Great info, thanks. I'll see what the printer says after they get a 2003 version.

I'm sure that they have Acrobat Pro or some other software to convert it if need be as well. I just don't like to knowingly submit files that are not "in compliance" with a company's file submission guidelines. 

The pdf/2001 requirement is no doubt a long standing and obsolete requirement, which I plan to bring up with FCI Digital, a very popular printer for their cost in the US. 

I'll broach that subject after the job is printed and in our hands : P.

In adhering to aging formats, I suspect they have their reasons.

It probably saves them 5 bucks on their preflight routine, not having to convert, assuming their printer is old enough now that it chokes on anything but. Which is the case I imagine. 

I'm still using a printer at home from 2002 because I have an RIP for it. I can't really complain about outdated tech, can I : )?