You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

OS steals focus when healing

My dad is getting a similar issue on his set up except he doesn’t use mail or receive any notifications. If he clicks into Finder then tries to go back to Affinity, the UI appears but Finder doesn’t release and it’s as though you are in Affinity but can’t click anything. If you look at top left to see what app you’re in it still says Finder. When you try to quit nothing happens so you have to force quit Affinity and restart. It’s sporadic. He has nothing but base installation of Latest MacOS and affinity photo on his Mac. He uses healing tool often but not sure it’s related. He uses separated mode.

8 hours ago, Nazario said:

My dad is getting a similar issue on his set up except he doesn’t use mail or receive any notifications. If he clicks into Finder then tries to go back to Affinity, the UI appears but Finder doesn’t release and it’s as though you are in Affinity but can’t click anything. If you look at top left to see what app you’re in it still says Finder. When you try to quit nothing happens so you have to force quit Affinity and restart. It’s sporadic. He has nothing but base installation of Latest MacOS and affinity photo on his Mac. He uses healing tool often but not sure it’s related. He uses separated mode.

I have had this issue too. I don't know what causes it but I am happy to say that a machine restart means I don't see it again for ... weeks or months now. I restart or just shut down my Mac at least once a week and don't have weird problems that others seem plagued with on a regular basis. Roy from The IT Crowd had the best advice: "Have you tried turning it off and on again?" Fictional comedy but good advice.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

16 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

I have had this issue too. I don't know what causes it but I am happy to say that a machine restart means I don't see it again for ... weeks or months now. I restart or just shut down my Mac at least once a week and don't have weird problems that others seem plagued with on a regular basis. Roy from The IT Crowd had the best advice: "Have you tried turning it off and on again?" Fictional comedy but good advice.

Its switched off every single day ;)

Well then @Nazario your dad is going to have to wait for someone with more knowledge than me to chime in. Don't worry the ones with more knowledge than I are legion.

Perhaps it is a problem with swap file space. I keep my machine's hard drive available space quite high (greater than 50%) this leaves space for the Affinity applications to write / read from the swap files. If the hard drive is full(ish) this becomes difficult and can slow or stop the application. The previous is pure speculation but there is a need for large empty space on the hard drive.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

On 4/2/2020 at 1:45 PM, Old Bruce said:

Well then @Nazario your dad is going to have to wait for someone with more knowledge than me to chime in. Don't worry the ones with more knowledge than I are legion.

Perhaps it is a problem with swap file space. I keep my machine's hard drive available space quite high (greater than 50%) this leaves space for the Affinity applications to write / read from the swap files. If the hard drive is full(ish) this becomes difficult and can slow or stop the application. The previous is pure speculation but there is a need for large empty space on the hard drive.

All his images are on external drives. His Mac has over 1TB free space. It literally has  Affinity Photo on it and shortcuts on his desktop to the external drives thats it. He's not computer literate at all really but ive set him up with APhoto on a new Mac and a simple workflow for adjusting his images from his camera and I've taught him the basics. The tutorial videos have helped him a lot. He takes a lot of wildlife photos as a hobby. I notice 1.8.3 is out now so I'll see if its fixed or not the next time he calls.

• 1 month later...