You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

masks and histogram not displaying properly

ceg

I use a lot of stacks to combat noise in hand-held night photography, or simulate long exposures. I have noticed that the thumbnail in the layers panel is pretty dark, and any masks are a darkish gray (maybe black) as well. Inverting them etc. has no effect on the thumbnail. Neither has modifying them with a brush.

Furthermore, the histogram does not reflect any adjustments made to the image. Once the image is saved, closed, and reloaded both layer mask thumbnails and histograms display properly.

• Staff

Hey ceg,

I've seen a few adjustments that display the second part of what you described but my layers don't seem dark. Can you attach a document so I can see what you're seeing? Also, a before and after screenshot would be super! Just so I've got it to attach to a bug report. 

Thanks Chris, sorry for the late reply, but working from home kept me busier than normal. There is no "before" screenshot only once a few adjustment layers are added.

As far as the histogram goes: it seems to take a while to update. For a 20 image stack an exposure adjustment updates the histogram within a second or two. I was too impatient to wait for the histogram to update after a curve adjustment. It seems to take "forever" (> 10 seconds :-).

Slow processing seems to be the cause of the black masks as well. Now, a few minutes later, they all turned white as expected.

I am using an i7 2.6 GHz processor with 32Gb of RAM.

As an aside: I was never a big fan of these little mask icons: they never seem quite to show what's going on.

Christoph

masks displaying incorrectly.jpg

speaking of the mask icon being a bit off:

the black and white adjustment was only masked for the foreground rock at the lower left, though the mask icon shows a big black blob in the middle of the image. Maybe I don't understand those mask icons, but it seems counter intuitive.

Annotation 2020-03-29 195224.jpg