You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Pattern displacement issues

Hi, recently, I've been doing a new project in Affinity Designer which was simply a pattern for clothes.

I had problem with displacement of the pattern objects...

That was the process:

1. Make a square that will be a mask/container for the objects (size:100x100)

2. Put elements inside

3. Elements that are on the edges are placed on ONE SIDE and the moved to the OTHER SIDE by moving it on the X axis by 100cm. That should work perfectly with pixel perfect precision.

4. Now, when I have proper pattern repeatable element i can duplicate it multiple times next to each other - just to make the pattern work on clothes...

But there is that displacement that occurs - elements set next to each other doesn't match the pattern perfectly. Because there is a gap between them and what more even if i move the parts to connect them, the pattern doesn't match, because there is a displacement. See the attached video. 

Doing the same using Adobe Illustrator works perfectly, unfortunately.

Thing that may be connected with the issue - Affinity Designer doesn't support more than decimal places (only 33,3). Adobe illustrator supports like hundredth or even thousandths, like 33,341). It may matter, am I right?

Please help me, this is another big problem that makes vector software like this really nonprofessional without accuracy... (and btw. thank you very much for improving/fixing issues with convert to curves)

image.png.9b4404f9facfdc6e0d07e7927408dd46.png image.png.da9ba5d99870fd9f6854f6690bdcc852.png  

53 minutes ago, reallydamngood said:

Affinity Designer doesn't support more than decimal places (only 33,3)

This is not correct - Affinity always works at full 64-bit precision, so there are many decimal places happening behind the scenes.

If you want to view more precision you can set your preference in…

Edit > Preferences > User Interface

53 minutes ago, reallydamngood said:

elements set next to each other doesn't match the pattern perfectly

I follow the procedure that you describe and get a perfect result with no offset.

Can you provide your file for us to look at?

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

Hi @reallydamngood

I looked at your file, and can see that the pattern is displaced as you describe.

• I then un-nested all the bananas and monkeys from the rectangle.
  • I deleted all the copies leaving just 4 original objects (1 monkey on left, 1 banana in corner, 1 banana on left, 1 banana on the bottom).
  • I grouped each bunch of bananas and the monkey to make them easier to handle.
  • I duplicated each object and added the 100mm offset (either x or y or both, as required).
  • I nested everything back inside the rectangle.

As you can hopefully see, the pattern tiles perfectly.

So I guess , something went wrong when you added the offsets?

Ampa Pattern.afdesign

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

• 1 month later...

After a few months I get it...
...there is a bug. When you don't have more decimals set in the settings, then you get a gap.

Let's say I have 1 decimal set for px - I move a duplicated object by 100px - there is a gap between these two.
When i set 3 decimal places for px and move it by 100px there is no gap

So there is something wrong here because as you said, it should be done perfectly behind the scenes @Aammppaa

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, reallydamngood said:

Do I have to report this somewhere?

You did just now. If you want you can make a new topic here in this Designer Bugs for Mac forum.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.