You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Lots of crashes with versions >1.7

A rather complex document (50 pages, several linked images, lots of pins, table of contents, index) created with Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 just refuses to work properly with any later version:

• The beta versions 1.8.x prior to the official version 1.8.0 are able to load the document nicely, but always crash reliably on trying to either update the table of contents, or doing a preflight check.
  • The official version 1.8.0 utterly fails to load the document, and always crashes reliably when trying to load it.
  • The new beta version 1.8.2.619 reverts to the 'old' behaviour: It can read the document, but always crashes on updating the table of contents or doing a preflight check.

Therefore, I reverted to the old version 1.7.3.481 again, ignored the current official one, and stopped using Publisher for the time being (which is sad), until a bug fix is available...

Since the problematic document is currently not for public distribution, it would be useful to get the possibility for a private upload or something - thanks.

With best regards,
Andreas Weidner

Done.

Inside the ZIP file, you'll find EAGLEInANutshell.afpub (plus hopefully all necessary images), which I'm in the process of updating from an old InDesign document (not imported as IDML, but newly created from scratch and using copy-and-paste) to a new version with Affinity (currently, Affinity is still missing some functionality). The corresponding PDF file was created with version 1.7.3.481 and shows how the document should look like. The document gets messier the farther one gets to its end, and for the time being, I did not include the fonts, so please don't get a shock when seeing it. If for some reason, you need the fonts, I can also provide them via DropBox (would that be the same link, or a different one?).

With best regards,
Andreas Weidner

PS: Even in the PDF file, the main font looks rather strange. This is due to extremely bad kerning of that font, which I'm also in the process of updating...

Done. I copied the fonts that Publisher shows in its font manager. You probably have 'Symbol' and 'Wingdings' already installed, anyway. The rest should be either bought, self-made or both...

And: If you write 'to investigate the layout issues', does that mean that the document can now be loaded without crashing, so that you are able to detect 'layout issues'?

With best regards,
Andreas Weidner

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

We believe this issue has been addressed as part of the recent 1.8.3 customer release. Please install that and retry, thank you

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon