You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

The gray(t) Affinity Wall

First of all, sorry for the bad pun in the title. :DBut this is my feeling, when I start e.g. APu. Working area on the left monitor and most needed tools on the right monitor. The overall gray appearance between the panels makes it sometimes hard to distinguish them. We have three applications which have a "brand" colour of their own. Why not using these colours inside the applications? E.g. orange headers or orange overlines for the panels in APu?

Just a thought.

P.S.: I know I can use the Dark Theme, but personally dislike it. It is a matter of taste and I am used to it for over thirty years now.

grayed-wall.jpg

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

To me that´s

1. a good idea
2. a usability-matter, again.

I think, Serif is a bit "afraid" of having their Software evaluated by Usability Experts since they will for sure suggest some fundamental changes in the UI/UX.

Because of that: perhaps it´s an acceptable workaround to automatically hide all panels as soon as the application is not the active application = as soon as the users brings another Application to front.
But: since this may become unhandy in certain situations (e.g. comparing parameters between applications...) this behavior should either be optional or even toggleable for each panel.

kind regards
Fritz

8 hours ago, Fritz_H said:

by Usability Experts 

I still have not got used to what 'Usability Experts' have done to Microsoft Office with their 'ribbons'. I keep searching and searching.

I am not against improvements and suggestions towards usability. But I question some of the things these experts come up with.

Note: I admit that usability is a very individual thing and it is very hard to serve every one's needs.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

7 hours ago, dominik said:

Note: I admit that usability is a very individual thing and it is very hard to serve every one's needs.

nope.
Usability-Analysis usually combines professionals from multiple disciplines, like technology, psychology, sociology and medical.
Usability does not care about YOU but about "all" (or the average person) 

e.g. since the human eye has less "sensors" for blue, this color is not suitable for alarms and signaling etc.
We can see red very well. Because of that traffic-signs are mostly red with white and black.
Why no green? because red-green color blindness is the most common one. Those people could no see the message of a Traffic Sign designed in red and green

Usability-experts ask questions like: why do I have to feed the Bank-Card into the ATM correctly?
Why isn´t the machine designed such way, so that I can insert the Card any direction?
Solution could be easy: just put the Chip into the middle of the Card and add 2 Chip-Contact-Modules (top and bottom) into the ATM.

absurd example?
well, have you ever used a USB-Type A ? I guess, you also hate the people who designed that nonsense - esp. since we have USB-C

Ever changed Toner in a copy-machine? you will notice that the a Toner-Cartridge only fits into the correct slot.
Even if you are completely Color-Blind - you can not do it wrong. This is also Usability.

Why do you think the Buttons of a copy-machine are on the right of the device?
because most people are right-handed.

image.png.dad5244c333583c10ba8d044ab662002.png

In a Forum-Posting someone suggested to change the levelling-tool of Photo to work in a 2step-process, like the Crop Tool.
Thats a good approach to increase usability since its stupid to force the User to keep the input-Device-button pressed while doing precision-work.

Or take the new "new File"-Dialog of the Affinity-Applications:
several fails: big static "Preview"-Icons but they are completely useless besides the Info e.g. "A4":
all same size, all same color, all same orientation which does not adapt to User-Settings (portrait vs. landscape),  not sortable, no favorites etc.
The Search-Box is also on the right, but should be above the useless big Document-icons.
The important part with all the specs is squeezed to the right , even the Color-Profile-Info does not fit.

image.png.14cf338df761d5d39446941a912a23cf.png

Usability is a complex thing; keep in mind the rule: "don´t make me think"

kind regards
Fritz

31 minutes ago, Fritz_H said:

nope.
Usability-Analysis usually combines professionals from multiple disciplines, like technology, psychology, sociology and medical.
Usability does not care about YOU but about "all" (or the average person) 

e.g. since the human eye has less "sensors" for blue, this color is not suitable for alarms and signaling etc.
We can see red very well. Because of that traffic-signs are mostly red with white and black.
Why no green? because red-green color blindness is the most common one. Those people could no see the message of a Traffic Sign designed in red and green

Usability-experts ask questions like: why do I have to feed the Bank-Card into the ATM correctly?
Why isn´t the machine designed such way, so that I can insert the Card any direction?
Solution could be easy: just put the Chip into the middle of the Card and add 2 Chip-Contact-Modules (top and bottom) into the ATM.

absurd example?
well, have you ever used a USB-Type A ? I guess, you also hate the people who designed that nonsense - esp. since we have USB-C

Ever changed Toner in a copy-machine? you will notice that the a Toner-Cartridge only fits into the correct slot.
Even if you are completely Color-Blind - you can not do it wrong. This is also Usability.

Why do you think the Buttons of a copy-machine are on the right of the device?
because most people are right-handed.

image.png.dad5244c333583c10ba8d044ab662002.png

In a Forum-Posting someone suggested to change the levelling-tool of Photo to work in a 2step-process, like the Crop Tool.
Thats a good approach to increase usability since its stupid to force the User to keep the input-Device-button pressed while doing precision-work.

Or take the new "new File"-Dialog of the Affinity-Applications:
several fails: big static "Preview"-Icons but they are completely useless besides the Info e.g. "A4":
all same size, all same color, all same orientation which does not adapt to User-Settings (portrait vs. landscape),  not sortable, no favorites etc.
The Search-Box is also on the right, but should be above the useless big Document-icons.
The important part with all the specs is squeezed to the right , even the Color-Profile-Info does not fit.

image.png.14cf338df761d5d39446941a912a23cf.png

Usability is a complex thing; keep in mind the rule: "don´t make me think"

kind regards
Fritz

I think you make some valid points. But your very example of the copy-machine proofs that (product or software) design can only hardly serve all needs of all users. It leaves left handed people out completely.

I do not want to fight about this. I think good design is a really hard thing to do. And thus it is worthful to add and collect ideas to improve things as it is done here.

Cheers,
d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil